Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 589 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
'MyhomePage({Key key, this.title}) : super(key: key);' in Flutter - what would be a clear explanation with an example?

In Flutter, what would be a clear explanation with an example?

My confusion is about `key`, as in the code below.

MyHomepage({Key key, this.title}) : super(key: key);

The code is the constructor of the `MyHomepage` widget.

{Key key, this.title}

It declares two optional named parameters (optional named because of `{}`) where

- the first is of name `key` with type `Key`

- the second is of name `title` with the type of the field `this.title` and automatically initializes `this.title` with the passed value. This is nice syntactic sugar that saves some writing.

`:` starts the initializer list.
The initializer list allows some to execute some expressions before the call is forwarded to the constructor of the super class.

When a class is initialized, read access to `this` is forbidden until the call to the super constructor is completed (until the body of the constructor is executed - in your example the constructor has no body).

The initializer list is often use to validate passed parameter values with `assert(key != null)` or to initialize `final` fields with calculated values (`final` fields can't be initialized or updated later).

`super(key: key)` forwards to the constructor of the super class and passes the parameter `key` passed to `MyHomepage` to the super constructors `key` parameter (same as for `MyHomepage({Key key})`).

Thanks for [Günter's detailed explanation][1] which helped me at the very beginning. Here I would like to explain the background for this question, and especially the punctuation as syntax a little bit.

The mentioned line of code,

```dart
MyHomepage({Key key, this.title}) : super(key: key);
```

should come from the auto-generated [Flutter application boilerplate][2].

The **complete context** is:

```dart
class MyHomePage extends StatefulWidget {
MyHomePage({Key key, this.title}) : super(key: key);

// This widget is the home page of your application. It is stateful, meaning
// that it has a State object (defined below) that contains fields that affect
// how it looks.

// This class is the configuration for the state. It holds the values (in this
// case the title) provided by the parent (in this case the App widget) and
// used by the build method of the State. Fields in a Widget subclass are
// always marked "final".

final String title;

@override
_MyHomePageState createState() => _MyHomePageState();
}
```

For me, the **weird punctuation** (curly brackets`{ }` and two colons `:`) is what prevented me from comprehending its syntax.

**Curly brackets** of `{Key key, this.title}`: is the syntax for declaring **optional parameters** while defining function in Dart.

**The first colon** of `MyHomepage(...) : super(key: key)` is a separator that specifies the **initializer list** (`super(key: key)`) of constructor function `MyHomepage(...)`

**The second colon** within `super(key: key)` is the way how you **pass a parameter** to a **named function** (`super()` in this case).

- For example, a function `enableFlags` is defined as follows

```dart
void enableFlags({bool bold, bool hidden}) {...}
```

- To call the function, the way Dart passes parameter to the function, is by declaring `parameterName` before `value`, separated with colon `:`, which is safer for developer than the [Pythonic][3] way. The counterpart syntax in [Swift][4] should be **external parameter.**

```dart
enableFlags(bold: true, hidden: false);
```

I wish this could help.

All the definitions and examples can be found in Dart's [official document][5].

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

[3]:

[4]:

[5]:

Flutter uses Keys for a lot of things inside the framework. Since your widget extends StatelessWidget or StatefulWidget, this is the way of your widget having a key so that the framework knows what to do with it (the super function is passing the key to the superclass widget - which can be understood by the framework).

Except for that is only Dart syntax (which is awesome by the way).

You can learn more about Keys here:

Another example is the testing framework. Flutter driver needs a key to know which widget to look for and interact with it. With this syntax your widget will have a key and it will work!

just look my pictures including two cases :[![Only exists initializer list][1]][1]

[![initializer list and super.constructor][2]][2]

[1]:

[2]: