Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 851 Vote(s) - 3.51 Average
Adding a new value to an existing ENUM Type

I have a table column that uses an `enum` type. I wish to update that `enum` type to have an additional possible value. I don't want to delete any existing values, just add the new value. What is the simplest way to do this?

Simplest: get rid of enums. They are not easily modifiable, and thus should **very** rarely be used.

I can't seem to post a comment, so I'll just say that updating pg_enum works in Postgres 8.4 . For the way our enums are set up, I've added new values to existing enum types via:

INSERT INTO pg_enum (enumtypid, enumlabel)
SELECT typelem, 'NEWENUM' FROM pg_type WHERE
typname = '_ENUMNAME_WITH_LEADING_UNDERSCORE';

It's a little scary, but it makes sense given the way Postgres actually stores its data.

When using Navicat you can go to types (under view -> others -> types) - get the design view of the type - and click the "add label" button.

Updating pg_enum works, as does the intermediary column trick highlighted above. One can also use USING magic to change the column's type directly:

CREATE TYPE test AS enum('a', 'b');
CREATE TABLE foo (bar test);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('a'), ('b');

ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE varchar;

DROP TYPE test;
CREATE TYPE test as enum('a', 'b', 'c');

ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE test
USING CASE
WHEN bar = ANY (enum_range(null::test)::varchar[])
THEN bar::test
WHEN bar = ANY ('{convert, these, values}'::varchar[])
THEN 'c'::test
ELSE NULL
END;

As long as you've no functions that explicitly require or return that enum, you're good. (pgsql will complain when you drop the type if there are.)

Also, note that PG9.1 is introducing an ALTER TYPE statement, which will work on enums:

[To see links please register here]

I don't know if have other option but we can drop the value using:

select oid from pg_type where typname = 'fase';'
select * from pg_enum where enumtypid = 24773;'
select * from pg_enum where enumtypid = 24773 and enumsortorder = 6;
delete from pg_enum where enumtypid = 24773 and enumsortorder = 6;

From Postgres 9.1 [Documentation][1]:

ALTER TYPE name ADD VALUE new_enum_value [ { BEFORE | AFTER } existing_enum_value ]

Example:

ALTER TYPE user_status ADD VALUE 'PROVISIONAL' AFTER 'NORMAL'

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Here is a more general but a rather fast-working solution, which apart from changing the type itself updates all columns in the database using it. The method can be applied even if a new version of ENUM is different by more than one label or misses some of the original ones. The code below replaces `my_schema.my_type AS ENUM ('a', 'b', 'c')` with `ENUM ('a', 'b', 'd', 'e')`:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION tmp() RETURNS BOOLEAN AS
$BODY$

DECLARE
item RECORD;

BEGIN

-- 1. create new type in replacement to my_type
CREATE TYPE my_schema.my_type_NEW
AS ENUM ('a', 'b', 'd', 'e');

-- 2. select all columns in the db that have type my_type
FOR item IN
SELECT table_schema, table_name, column_name, udt_schema, udt_name
FROM information_schema.columns
WHERE
udt_schema = 'my_schema'
AND udt_name = 'my_type'
LOOP
-- 3. Change the type of every column using my_type to my_type_NEW
EXECUTE
' ALTER TABLE ' || item.table_schema || '.' || item.table_name
|| ' ALTER COLUMN ' || item.column_name
|| ' TYPE my_schema.my_type_NEW'
|| ' USING ' || item.column_name || '::text::my_schema.my_type_NEW;';
END LOOP;

-- 4. Delete an old version of the type
DROP TYPE my_schema.my_type;

-- 5. Remove _NEW suffix from the new type
ALTER TYPE my_schema.my_type_NEW
RENAME TO my_type;

RETURN true;

END
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT * FROM tmp();
DROP FUNCTION tmp();

The whole process will run fairly quickly, because if the order of labels persists, no actual change of data will happen. I applied the method on 5 tables using `my_type` and having 50,000−70,000 rows in each, and the whole process took just 10 seconds.

Of course, the function will return an exception in case if labels that are missing in the new version of the ENUM are used somewhere in the data, but in such situation something should be done beforehand anyway.

Can't add a comment to the appropriate place, but `ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE new_enum_type USING bar::text::new_enum_type` with a default on the column failed. I had to:

`ALTER table ALTER COLUMN bar DROP DEFAULT`;

and then it worked.

For those looking for an in-transaction solution, the following seems to work.

Instead of an `ENUM`, a `DOMAIN` shall be used on type `TEXT` with a constraint checking that the value is within the specified list of allowed values (as suggested by some comments). The only problem is that no constraint can be added (and thus neither modified) to a domain if it is used by any composite type (the docs merely says this "should eventually be improved"). Such a restriction may be worked around, however, using a constraint calling a function, as follows.

START TRANSACTION;

CREATE FUNCTION test_is_allowed_label(lbl TEXT) RETURNS BOOL AS $function$
SELECT lbl IN ('one', 'two', 'three');
$function$ LANGUAGE SQL IMMUTABLE;

CREATE DOMAIN test_domain AS TEXT CONSTRAINT val_check CHECK (test_is_allowed_label(value));

CREATE TYPE test_composite AS (num INT, word test_domain);

CREATE TABLE test_table (val test_composite);
INSERT INTO test_table (val) VALUES ((1, 'one')::test_composite), ((3, 'three')::test_composite);
-- INSERT INTO test_table (val) VALUES ((4, 'four')::test_composite); -- restricted by the CHECK constraint

CREATE VIEW test_view AS SELECT * FROM test_table; -- just to show that the views using the type work as expected

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_is_allowed_label(lbl TEXT) RETURNS BOOL AS $function$
SELECT lbl IN ('one', 'two', 'three', 'four');

INSERT INTO test_table (val) VALUES ((4, 'four')::test_composite); -- allowed by the new effective definition of the constraint

SELECT * FROM test_view;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_is_allowed_label(lbl TEXT) RETURNS BOOL AS $function$
SELECT lbl IN ('one', 'two', 'three');

-- INSERT INTO test_table (val) VALUES ((4, 'four')::test_composite); -- restricted by the CHECK constraint, again

SELECT * FROM test_view; -- note the view lists the restricted value 'four' as no checks are made on existing data

DROP VIEW test_view;
DROP TABLE test_table;
DROP TYPE test_composite;
DROP DOMAIN test_domain;
DROP FUNCTION test_is_allowed_label(TEXT);

COMMIT;

Previously, I used a solution similar to the accepted answer, but it is far from being good once views or functions or composite types (and especially views using other views using the modified ENUMs...) are considered. The solution proposed in this answer seems to work under any conditions.

The only disadvantage is that no checks are performed on existing data when some allowed values are removed (which might be acceptable, especially for this question). (A call to `ALTER DOMAIN test_domain VALIDATE CONSTRAINT val_check` ends up with the same error as adding a new constraint to the domain used by a composite type, unfortunately.)

<strike>Note that a slight modification such as `CHECK (value = ANY(get_allowed_values()))`, where `get_allowed_values()` function returned the list of allowed values, would not work - which is quite strange, so I hope the solution proposed above works reliably (it does for me, so far...).</strike> (it works, actually - it was my error)