Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 401 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
Are there any disadvantages to always using nvarchar(MAX)?

In SQL Server 2005, are there any disadvantages to making all character fields nvarchar(MAX) rather than specifying a length explicitly, e.g. nvarchar(255)? (Apart from the obvious one that you aren't able to limit the field length at the database level)

The only problem I found was that we develop our applications on SQL Server 2005, and in one instance, we have to support SQL Server 2000. I just learned, the **hard way** that SQL Server 2000 doesn't like the MAX option for varchar or nvarchar.

I had a udf which padded strings and put the output to varchar(max). If this was used directly instead of casting back to the appropriate size for the column being adjusted, the performance was very poor. I ended up putting the udf to an arbitrary length with a big note instead of relying on all the callers of the udf to re-cast the string to a smaller size.

This will cause a performance problem, although it may never cause any actual issues if your database is small. Each record will take up more space on the hard drive and the database will need to read more sectors of the disk if you're searching through a lot of records at once. For example, a small record could fit 50 to a sector and a large record could fit 5. You'd need to read 10 times as much data from the disk using the large record.

It will make screen design harder as you will no longer be able to predict how wide your controls should be.

Interesting link: [Why use a VARCHAR when you can use TEXT?][1]

It's about PostgreSQL and MySQL, so the performance analysis is different, but the logic for "explicitness" still holds: Why force yourself to always worry about something that's relevant a small percentage of the time? If you saved an email address to a variable, you'd use a 'string' not a 'string limited to 80 chars'.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

One problem is that if you are having to work with multiple versions of SQL Server, the MAX will not always work. So if you are working with legacy DB's or any other situation that involves multiple versions, you better be very careful.

Sometimes you want the data type to enforce some sense on the data in it.

Say for example you have a column that really shouldn't be longer than, say, 20 characters. If you define that column as VARCHAR(MAX), some rogue application could insert a long string into it and you'd never know, or have any way of preventing it.

The next time your application uses that string, under the assumption that the length of the string is modest and reasonable for the domain it represents, you will experience an unpredictable and confusing result.

Bad idea when you know the field will be in a set range- 5 to 10 character for example. I think I'd only use max if I wasn't sure what the length would be. For example a telephone number would never be more than a certain number of characters.

Can you honestly say you are that uncertain about the approximate length requirements for every field in your table?

I do get your point though- there are some fields I'd certainly consider using varchar(max).

Interestingly the [MSDN docs][1] sum it up pretty well:

> Use varchar when the sizes of the
> column data entries vary considerably.
> Use varchar(max) when the sizes of the
> column data entries vary considerably,
> and the size might exceed 8,000 bytes.

There's [an interesting discussion on the issue here][2].

[1]:

[2]:

Think of it as just another safety level. You can design your table without foreign key relationships - perfectly valid - and ensure existence of associated entities entirely on the business layer. However, foreign keys are considered good design practice because they add another constraint level in case something messes up on the business layer. Same goes for field size limitation and not using varchar MAX.