Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 358 Vote(s) - 3.48 Average
(C) Implementation tactics for heap allocators?

Where are some good resources for looking at the pros/cons of different ways of implementing heap allocators? Resources touching on efficiency (fragmentation, throughput, etc) are preferred. I am NOT looking for simple code repositories.

**edit:**

I'm not really interested in the philosophical grounding of this wiki. As such, I don't really want to get into 'why' I'm interested in this. Regardless of the underlying intentions/problems/etc, this information exists, so if you know of any good resources, please link to them here!

This is a very old problem, and to get a comprehensive view you will have to dig through the research literature. (I'm not aware of a good textbook treatment.)

A few places to start:

- [Doug Lea's description of his memory allocator](

[To see links please register here]

)

- [*The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1*](

) by Don Knuth

- [Quick fit: an efficient algorithm for heap storage allocation](

) by Weinstock and Wulf

This one is worth spending a day in the library. Yes, a big building full of paper—the problem is that old.