Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 304 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
Can a database table be without a primary key?

According to your answer I would consider three options:

* put a PK on both cols, this way for each time there could be only one temp and vise versa. This solution allows for multiple rows with the same temp or the same time just that there wouldn't be any two rows with same temp AND time.
* don't put a PK at all but do put a unique index on both cols. one unique index containing both cols. this would allow for nulls in temp and time but incurs more space to maintain index.

these two options would be best for retrieval speed if you have heavy reads but would result in lower inserts rate as indices would have to be updated as well.

* don't put any index at all, nor PK. this would be best for inserts but very bad for searching. useful for logging where retrieval is done by another
mechanism or when inserting device is not required to check for dups.

Also, it is very important to consider cardinality here and think about future consequences of using an auto incremented number. if you're planning to do A LOT OF inserts then even an auto incremented unsigned bigint would be a risk because it would eventually run out. In your example I guess you'll be saving data daily - for how long? this would be problematic if you saved temp every minute... so I'll take this as an extreme example.

I guess it is best to think about what you need from the table. are you doing "save-and-forget" for the entire year for the temp at every minute? are you going to use this table frequently in real-time decision making in your business logic? I think it is best to segregate data necessary for real-time (oltp) from long-term saving data that would be required seldom and its retrieval latency is allowed to be high (olap). it's even worth duplicating the data into two different tables, one heavily indexed and get erased once in a while to control cardinality and the second is actually saved on a magentic disk with almost no indices at all (it is possible to transfer a schema from your main fs into another fs).

Even if you do not add a primary key to an InnoDB table in MySQL, MySQL adds a hidden clustered index to that table. If you do not define a primary key, MySQL locates the first UNIQUE index where all the key columns are NOT NULL and InnoDB uses it as the clustered index.

If the table has no primary key or suitable UNIQUE index, InnoDB internally generates a clustered index GEN_CLUST_INDEX on a synthetic column containing row ID values.

[To see links please register here]