Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 243 Vote(s) - 3.55 Average
Copy files to output directory using csproj dotnetcore

So my issue is pretty simple. I have some files that I want to be copied to the build output directory whether it is a debug build or a release publish. All of the information I can find is about the old json config approach. Anyone have an example using the csproj with dotnetcore?

Assuming you have an `assets` folder in your root directory. You can name it as you want. This is just an example:

**your-project.csproj**

```xml
<Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk">
<ItemGroup>
<AssetsSourceFiles Include="assets/**/*.*"/>
</ItemGroup>

<Target Name="CopyCustomContent" AfterTargets="AfterBuild">
<Copy SourceFiles="@(AssetsSourceFiles)" DestinationFolder="$(OutDir)" SkipUnchangedFiles="true" />
</Target>
</Project>
```

this copies only the content of the `assets` folder to the output root without wrapping it into the `assets` folder. But if you want to copy with the folder itself, you can use the following code:

```xml
<ItemGroup>
<Content Include="assets\**\*.*">
<CopyToOutputDirectory>PreserveNewest</CopyToOutputDirectory>
</Content>
</ItemGroup>
</Project>
```

There's quite a few ways to achieve your goals, depending on what your needs are.

The easiest approach is setting the metadata (`CopyToOutputDirectory` / `CopyToPublishDirectory`) items conditionally (assuming `.txt` being a `None` item instead of `Content`, if it doesn't work, try `<Content>` instead):

<!-- language: lang-xml -->

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">
<None Update="foo.txt" CopyToOutputDirectory="PreserveNewest" />
</ItemGroup>

If more control is required, the most versatile approach is to add custom targets that hook into the build process in the csproj file:

<Target Name="CopyCustomContent" AfterTargets="AfterBuild">
<Copy SourceFiles="foo.txt" DestinationFolder="$(OutDir)" />
</Target>
<Target Name="CopyCustomContentOnPublish" AfterTargets="Publish">
<Copy SourceFiles="foo.txt" DestinationFolder="$(PublishDir)" />
</Target>

This copies a file to the respective directories. For more options for the `<Copy>` task, see [its documentation][1]. To limit this to certain configurations, you can use a `Condition` attribute:

<Target … Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == 'Release' ">

This `Condition` attribute can be applied both on the `<Target>` element or on task elements like `<Copy>`.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

While this helped me get my issue sorted, it didn't work for all files in a sub-directory. I also used `Content Include` rather than `Content Update`.

<PropertyGroup>
<OutputType>Exe</OutputType>
<TargetFramework>netcoreapp2.1</TargetFramework>
</PropertyGroup>

<ItemGroup>
<Content Include="layouts\*.*">
<CopyToOutputDirectory>Always</CopyToOutputDirectory>
</Content>
</ItemGroup>

</Project>

Place this in your .csproj file, replacing nlog.config with the desired file path. Then simply save it and build your project:

<ItemGroup>
<Content Update="Nlog.config">
</Content>
</ItemGroup>

I had the requirement for a selection of HTML templates to be consumable both client-side and server-side (Handlebars js)

<Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Web">

<PropertyGroup>
<TargetFramework>netcoreapp2.0</TargetFramework>
</PropertyGroup>

<ItemGroup>
<Content Update="wwwroot\html-templates\**\*.*">
</Content>
</ItemGroup>

</Project>