Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 246 Vote(s) - 3.54 Average
Does anyone have any real-world experience of CSLA?

I've been using CSLA since vb5, when it was more of a collection of patterns than it was a framework. With the introduction of.NET, CSLA turned into a full-blown framework, that came with a hefty learning curve. However, the CSLA addresses many things that all business developers tend to write themselves at some point (depending on project scope): validation logic, authentication logic, undo functionality, dirty logic, etc. All of these things you get for free out of the box in one nice framework.

As others have stated, being a framework, it forces developers to write business logic in a similar fashion. It also forces you to provide a level of abstraction for your business logic, so that not using a UI framework such as MVC, MVP, MVVM becomes not so important.

In fact, I would argue that the reason why so many of these UI patterns are so hyped up today (in the Microsoft world) is that people have been doing stuff incredibly wrong for so long (ie., using DataGrids in your UI, sprinkling your business logic everywhere. tisk tisk). Design your middle tier (business logic) correctly from the start, you can reuse your middle tier in ANY UI. Win Form, ASP.NET/MVC, WCF Service, WPF, Silverlight**, Windows Service, ....

But aside from these, the huge payoff for me has been it's built-in ability to scale. The CSLA uses a proxy pattern that is configurable via your config file. This allows your business objects to make remote calls from server to server, without having to write one lick of code. Adding more users to your system? No problem, deploy your CSLA business objects to a new application server, make a config file entry change, and BAM!! Instant scalability needs met.

Compare this to using DTO's, storing your business logic on the client (whatever client that may be), and having to write each of your own CRUD methods as service methods. YIKES!!! Not saying this is a bad approach, but I wouldn't want to do it. Not when there's a framework out there to essentially do it for me.

I'm going to reiterate what other folks have said in that CSLA is NOT an ORM. CSLA forces you to supply your business objects with data. They do not care where you get your data. You can use an ORM to supply your business objects with data. You can also use raw ADO.NET, other services (RESTFUl, SOAP), excel spreadsheets, I can keep going here.

As for your support for TDD, I have never tried using that approach with CSLA either. I have taken the approach where I model my middle tier (ala business objects) using class and sequence diagrams, most often allowing use case, screen and/or process design to dictate. Perhaps a bit old school, but UML has always served me very well in my design and development efforts. I've successfully designed and developed very large and scalable applications still being used today. And until WCF RIA matures, I'll be continuing to use CSLA..

** with some work arounds