Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 227 Vote(s) - 3.61 Average
Error: Attempt to call private method

Coming from a long history of C-style syntax and now trying to learn Ruby (on Rails), I've been having my share of issues with its idioms and such, but today I hit one I didn't expect to have a problem with and I can't see whatever it is that must be right in front of my face.

I have a Binary class that includes a private method to derive a URI value from a path value (uri and path are attributes of the class). I'm calling `self.get_uri_from_path()` from within `Binary.upload()`, but I get:

Attempt to call private method

A snippet of the model looks like this:

class Binary < ActiveRecord::Base
has_one :image

def upload( uploaded_file, save = false )
save_as = File.join( self.get_bin_root(), '_tmp', uploaded_file.original_path )

# write the file to a temporary directory
# set a few object properties

self.path = save_as.sub( Rails.root.to_s + '/', '' )
self.uri = self.get_uri_from_path()
end

private

def get_uri_from_path
return self.path.sub( 'public', '' )
end
end

Am I making the call incorrectly? Am I missing something else that's even more fundamental? The only place that `Binary.get_uri_from_path()` is being called from - at the moment - is `Binary.upload()`. I'd expect to be able to call a private method from within the same class unless Ruby does something markedly different from other languages I've used.

Thanks.

there is a heck though where you can call private method in any situation, that being:

object.send(:private_method)

I believe 1.9 has a different implementation of this trick

I believe that the proper idiom in this case is not self.get_uri_from_path() but rather simply get_uri_from_path(). The self is redundant. Further notes:
* self.path calls the path method on self, which is presumably defined in the parent class. If you had wanted to access the instance variable directly, you could have said @path. (@ is the sigil for instance variables.)
* Parentheses for method arguments are optional except where their absence would cause ambiguity. You could, if you chose, replace get_uri_from_path() with get_uri_from_path. This stands in contrast to Javascript, where a function with no parens represents that function as a value rather than an application of that function.

Don't do

self.get_uri_from_path()

do

get_uri_from_path()

Because...

class AccessPrivate
def a
end
private :a # a is private method

def accessing_private
a # sure!
self.a # nope! private methods cannot be called with an explicit receiver at all, even if that receiver is "self"
other_object.a # nope, a is private, you can't get it (but if it was protected, you could!)
end
end

[via][1]

[1]:

[To see links please register here]