Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 240 Vote(s) - 3.64 Average
Expanding variables in file contents

I have a file `template.txt` which contains the following:

Hello ${something}

I would like to create a PowerShell script that reads the file and expands the variables in the template, i.e.

$something = "World"
$template = Get-Content template.txt
# replace $something in template file with current value
# of variable in script -> get Hello World

How could I do this?

I've found this solution:

$something = "World"
$template = Get-Content template.txt
$expanded = Invoke-Expression "`"$template`""
$expanded

Another option is to use ExpandString() e.g.:

$expanded = $ExecutionContext.InvokeCommand.ExpandString($template)

Invoke-Expression will also work. However be careful. Both of these options are capable of executing arbitrary code e.g.:

# Contents of file template.txt
"EvilString";$(remove-item -whatif c:\ -r -force -confirm:$false -ea 0)

$template = gc template.txt
iex $template # could result in a bad day

If you want to have a "safe" string eval without the potential to accidentally run code then you can combine PowerShell jobs and restricted runspaces to do just that e.g.:

PS> $InitSB = {$ExecutionContext.SessionState.Applications.Clear(); $ExecutionContext.SessionState.Scripts.Clear(); Get-Command | %{$_.Visibility = 'Private'}}
PS> $SafeStringEvalSB = {param($str) $str}
PS> $job = Start-Job -Init $InitSB -ScriptBlock $SafeStringEvalSB -ArgumentList '$foo (Notepad.exe) bar'
PS> Wait-Job $job > $null
PS> Receive-Job $job
$foo (Notepad.exe) bar

Now if you attempt to use an expression in the string that uses a cmdlet, this will not execute the command:

PS> $job = Start-Job -Init $InitSB -ScriptBlock $SafeStringEvalSB -ArgumentList '$foo $(Start-Process Notepad.exe) bar'
PS> Wait-Job $job > $null
PS> Receive-Job $job
$foo $(Start-Process Notepad.exe) bar

If you would like to see a failure if a command is attempted, then use $ExecutionContext.InvokeCommand.ExpandString to expand the $str parameter.

Since I really don't like the idea of One More Thing To Remember - in this case, remembering that PS will evaluate variables and run any commands included in the template - I found another way to do this.

Instead of variables in template file, make up your own tokens - if you're not processing HTML, you can use e.g. `<variable>`, like so:

Hello <something>

Basically use any token that will be unique.

Then in your PS script, use:

$something = "World"
$template = Get-Content template.txt -Raw
# replace <something> in template file with current value
# of variable in script -> get Hello World
$template=$template.Replace("<something>",$something)

It's more cumbersome than straight-up InvokeCommand, but it's clearer than setting up limited execution environment just to avoid a security risk when processing simple template. YMMV depending on requirements :-)