Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 686 Vote(s) - 3.51 Average
Get all lines containing a string in a huge text file - as fast as possible?

In Powershell, how to read and get as fast as possible the last line (or all the lines) which contains a specific string in a huge text file (about 200000 lines / 30 MBytes) ?
I'm using :

get-content myfile.txt | select-string -pattern "my_string" -encoding ASCII | select -last 1
But it's very very long (about 16-18 seconds).
I did tests without the last pipe "`select -last 1`", but it's the same time.

Is there **a faster way** to get the **last occurence** (or all occurences) of a specific string in huge file?

Perhaps it's the needed time ...
Or it there any possiblity to read the file faster from the end as I want the last occurence?
Thanks

Have you tried using `[System.IO.File]::ReadAllLines();`? This method is more "raw" than the PowerShell-esque method, since we're plugging directly into the Microsoft .NET Framework types.

$Lines = [System.IO.File]::ReadAllLines();
[Regex]::Matches($Lines, 'my_string_pattern');

Try this:

get-content myfile.txt -ReadCount 1000 |
foreach { $_ -match "my_string" }

That will read your file in chunks of 1000 records at a time, and find the matches in each chunk. This gives you better performance because you aren't wasting a lot of cpu time on memory management, since there's only 1000 lines at a time in the pipeline.

Have you tried:

gc myfile.txt | % { if($_ -match "my_string") {write-host $_}}

Or, you can create a "grep"-like function:

function grep($f,$s) {
gc $f | % {if($_ -match $s){write-host $_}}
}

Then you can just issue: `grep $myfile.txt $my_string`

$reader = New-Object System.IO.StreamReader("myfile.txt")

$lines = @()

if ($reader -ne $null) {
while (!$reader.EndOfStream) {
$line = $reader.ReadLine()
if ($line.Contains("my_string")) {
$lines += $line
}
}
}

$lines | Select-Object -Last 1

I wanted to extract the lines that contained failed and also write this lines to a new file, I will add the full command for this

get-content log.txt -ReadCount 1000 |
>> foreach { $_ -match "failed" } | Out-File C:\failes.txt