Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 739 Vote(s) - 3.51 Average
Does rainwater affects Cat5e cable ?

Hello,

Networking Guru's lend me your strength and knowledge, So i created a custom POE, something looking like this >---< for my modem sake, it doesn't support the official POE standard, so i got creative ... so its being awhile and everything is working fine speeds was okay, very hardly/rarely any buffering especially when using Kodi ... but as of lately, my speeds have become hardly usable and my speeds hardly hit over 1 MBps ... so i did some troubleshooting and found out that rainwater was in my Cat5e cable ... ( the only way water could get in is from split at the end of the cable)

i have done alot of research on it, but i can't find a valuable source that says water/rainwater indeed affects the cable ...

Your feedback is greatly appreciated ...

It really all depends on how deeply it penetrated, normally each wire has its own tubing then a barrier then some possible shielding then the final tubing. If it has reached the bare metal, your wire can short out, however if it hasn't, then dry it out, seal up the cracks and enjoy.

Quote:(12-31-2017, 01:13 AM)Trik3r Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Hello,

Networking Guru's lend me your strength and knowledge, So i created a custom POE, something looking like this >---< for my modem sake, it doesn't support the official POE standard, so i got creative ... so its being awhile and everything is working fine speeds was okay, very hardly/rarely any buffering especially when using Kodi ... but as of lately, my speeds have become hardly usable and my speeds hardly hit over 1 MBps ... so i did some troubleshooting and found out that rainwater was in my Cat5e cable ... ( the only way water could get in is from split at the end of the cable)

i have done alot of research on it, but i can't find a valuable source that says water/rainwater indeed affects the cable ...

Sounds like you didn't terminate your ends. Water generally won't have any effect on your cables (since water doesn't conduct electricity), but if you're using shitty cables then the added moisture could degrade the insulating core and you might have some shorts.

Get yourself one of

[Image: xbw0IQw.png]
They are EXTREMELY useful when you're looking for faults.

If you can afford one of

[Image: BfR9z0C.png]
then you can get some real insights.

getting something that supports PoE is actually pretty simple (and relatively cheap)
Pick up a cisco layer 2 switch on ebay. These are 100Mbps switches usually, but PoE pretty much limits you to 100 anyways.

[Image: ksUHLwT.png]

the bonus here is you get 50 ports, so you can wire up your whole residential block with this thing.

Quote:(12-31-2017, 02:07 AM)Trik3r Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 01:34 AM)Ecks Wrote:

It really all depends on how deeply it penetrated, normally each wire has its own tubing then a barrier then some possible shielding then the final tubing. If it has reached the bare metal, your wire can short out, however if it hasn't, then dry it out, seal up the cracks and enjoy.

The wires are not expose (each individual copper wire is covered by its original coverying and all the wires are covered by the original coverying) so not is expose ... the only part that i suspected is the near to the end of the wire about 9 inches to the end, that i had to split into 2 sets, 1 set for power and the other for Data ... even though i wrapped where i strip the wire with (Electrical tape firmly) but water is running through the outside covering ... which led me to believe this could be affecting the wire ...

If you have 9 inches of exposed pairs then that's your problem right there...
You don't want any more than 5mm of straight wire on your line. They are twisted like that for a reason.

Also, don't assume that the stripping isn't degraded. That stuff is VERY thin, especially on 5e. You could lightly drag your fingernail across the pair and strip it. If your water had any magnesium in it, you might have triggered electrolysis, which would have burned away the coatings and fucked your whole thing.

Get a tester. Don't make assumptions, do tests and make an informed decision

Quote:(12-31-2017, 01:34 AM)Ecks Wrote:

The wires are not expose (each individual copper wire is covered by its original coverying and all the wires are covered by the original coverying) so not is expose ... the only part that i suspected is the near to the end of the wire about 9 inches to the end, that i had to split into 2 sets, 1 set for power and the other for Data ... even though i wrapped where i strip the wire with (Electrical tape firmly) but water is running through the outside covering ... which led me to believe this could be affecting the wire ...

Quote:(12-31-2017, 01:47 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 01:13 AM)Trik3r Wrote:

Hello,

Sounds like you didn't terminate your ends. Water generally won't have any effect on your cables (since water doesn't conduct electricity), but if you're using shitty cables then the added moisture could degrade the insulating core and you might have some shorts.

Get yourself one of

If you can afford one of

getting something that supports PoE is actually pretty simple (and relatively cheap)
Pick up a cisco layer 2 switch on ebay. These are 100Mbps switches usually, but PoE pretty much limits you to 100 anyways.

the bonus here is you get 50 ports, so you can wire up your whole residential block with this thing.

The wires are not expose (each individual copper wire is covered by its original coverying and all the wires are covered by the original coverying) so none is expose ... the only part that i suspected is the near to the end of the wire about 9 inches to the end, that i had to split into 2 sets, 1 set for power and the other for Data ... even though i wrapped where i strip the wire with (Electrical tape firmly) but water is running through the outside covering ... which led me to believe this could be affecting the wire ...

as i said in the official post, i have this setup for a while, am talking like couple months well, almost a year and i wasn't experiencing any of these problems, there's a strong possibility that my ISP Tower could be the culprit too because its a Wimax connection and in my area there about 5 towers supporting over 300+ people where i am from, and there internet speed overall isn't that great too most of the time ...

The thing is i don't wanna change my cable, when in fact the problem is from my ISP end ...

thanks for the suggested items, i will get the first one ...

Quote:(12-31-2017, 02:21 AM)Trik3r Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 01:47 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 01:13 AM)Trik3r Wrote:

Hello,

Get yourself one of

If you can afford one of

The wires are not expose (each individual copper wire is covered by its original coverying and all the wires are covered by the original coverying) so none is expose ... the only part that i suspected is the near to the end of the wire about 9 inches to the end, that i had to split into 2 sets, 1 set for power and the other for Data ... even though i wrapped where i strip the wire with (Electrical tape firmly) but water is running through the outside covering ... which led me to believe this could be affecting the wire ...

as i said in the official post, i have this setup for a while, am talking like couple months well, almost a year and i wasn't experiencing any of these problems, there's a strong possibility that my ISP Tower could be the culprit too because its a Wimax connection and in my area there about 5 towers supporting over 300+ people where i am from, and there internet speed overall isn't that great too most of the time ...

The thing is i don't wanna change my cable, when in fact the problem is from my ISP end ...

thanks for the suggested items, i will get the first one ...

Dude, what you're saying isn't making sense. Can you show us a picture. I suspect that you've spliced the wiring, which is a major no-go.

Quote:(12-31-2017, 02:35 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

Dude, what you're saying isn't making sense. Can you show us a picture. I suspect that you've spliced the wiring, which is a major no-go.

He is having speed issues and was suspecting his line may have been the culprit, I highly doubt that it is (since I too pay for 30mbps and barely get 1mbps) afterall ISPs can do what ever they want for now.

Quote:(12-31-2017, 08:43 PM)Ecks Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 02:35 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

He is having speed issues and was suspecting his line may have been the culprit, I highly doubt that it is (since I too pay for 30mbps and barely get 1mbps) afterall ISPs can do what ever they want for now.

Wow!!! thanks for understanding from my perspective bro, i have do some test over the weekend an have now confirm, what the source of the problem ... it is was just as you said it was indeed from my ISP end ... my first test was late in the night, when i most users would be sleeping and did my speed test and my speeds was awesome ( over 6 MBps) did it couple times and the the test was stable it was between 6 - 7 MBps ...

thanks again ...

Quote:(12-31-2017, 08:43 PM)Ecks Wrote:

Quote: (12-31-2017, 02:35 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

That's a totally different issue. I have 2 lines at my house, each are 220Mbps, but I can pull 500Mbps off of them on a good day. The difference is I'm not using any equipment from my ISP. It's custom all the way from the pole to PC.