Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 531 Vote(s) - 3.48 Average
How do I get my VPN-daemon to run in the background?

Quote:(05-03-2021, 04:10 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Quote: (05-03-2021, 02:46 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 11:11 AM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

And I want to have it running all the time, connect automatically etc. But its the daemon I have to get running. I'll try that command later :smile:

The command I gave you is what enables the daemon. Since it says the service doesn’t exist though, you haven’t created it. You need to create the service unit for systemd to find, and target a specific runtime.

Another unit target could also be mullvad-daemon, so try that too

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.
How do I enable mullvad-daemon?

This is the exact syntax it gives when I do systemctl enable ...... xxx:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

How did you install mullvad?

Quote:(05-03-2021, 08:02 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 04:10 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 02:46 PM)Equinox Wrote:

The command I gave you is what enables the daemon. Since it says the service doesn’t exist though, you haven’t created it. You need to create the service unit for systemd to find, and target a specific runtime.

Another unit target could also be mullvad-daemon, so try that too

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

By cloning it from github, building and compiling it, then doing an NPM install.

Quote:(05-04-2021, 12:23 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 08:02 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 04:10 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

By cloning it from github, building and compiling it, then doing an NPM install.

For future reference, you shouldn’t clone from GitHub unless you have to. It makes package management hell, and there’s a reason package managers exist in the Linux userspace.

That aside though, install openvpn as well. This can also be found in the mullvad github, but a better practice would be to use your package manager to install openvpn. Once openvpn is installed, configure it for mullvad, then enable the service unit, and you’ll be good.

Quote:(05-04-2021, 07:28 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-04-2021, 12:23 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Quote: (05-03-2021, 08:02 PM)Equinox Wrote:

For future reference, you shouldn’t clone from GitHub unless you have to. It makes package management hell, and there’s a reason package managers exist in the Linux userspace.

That aside though, install openvpn as well. This can also be found in the mullvad github, but a better practice would be to use your package manager to install openvpn. Once openvpn is installed, configure it for mullvad, then enable the service unit, and you’ll be good.

Blackarch doesn't have a package available for Mullvad, so it is totally necessary for the OP to use a git clone here.

It's very possible that there is a daemon for mullvad, but it's either only available to the Debian/Fedora installation, or you'll need to jump through some hoops to get a daemon working in the git clone install. It would also help to know what version you installed. Was it the WireGuard or OpenVPN version?

Quote:(05-04-2021, 08:24 PM)Drako Wrote:

Quote: (05-04-2021, 07:28 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Blackarch doesn't have a package available for Mullvad, so it is totally necessary for the OP to use a git clone here.

It's very possible that there is a daemon for mullvad, but it's either only available to the Debian/Fedora installation, or you'll need to jump through some hoops to get a daemon working in the git clone install. It would also help to know what version you installed. Was it the WireGuard or OpenVPN version?

Neither, I’m doing all of this based on my experience in using Linux. And a generally good assumption to make for Arch users is that they have an AUR package manager installed, and there is an AUR package for mullvad. That’s why I brought up the bit about package management.

I would go with the openvpn option were it me though.

Quote:(05-04-2021, 08:43 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-04-2021, 08:24 PM)Drako Wrote:

Neither, I’m doing all of this based on my experience in using Linux. And a generally good assumption to make for Arch users is that they have an AUR package manager installed, and there is an AUR package for mullvad. That’s why I brought up the bit about package management.

Oh yeah, I haven't used Arch in a while so the AUR went completely over my head. There should be a daemon there. And the questions were meant for the OP. But I should have put them in a seperate post.

Quote:(05-04-2021, 08:24 PM)Drako Wrote:

Yes, I cloned it for this reason. I can download the .deb file and convert it with debtap, but you still have to compile and build it I think and then do a NPM install. And yeah, its true that mullvad isnt made for Arch, mainly only fedora and debian. So thats why I cloned it from github.

I am using wireguard. Its the one that works best on my computer.

Should I install AUR? I read that its sometimes causes errors in the system and some people dont use it anymore, but if you think its fine then I'll trust it. Can I use the wireguard file instead of openvpn? Should I use 'sudo yay -S mullvadvpn?' Or what is the command for downloading it?

Quote:(05-05-2021, 09:43 AM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Yes, I cloned it for this reason. I can download the .deb file and convert it with debtap, but you still have to compile and build it I think and then do a NPM install. And yeah, its true that mullvad isnt made for Arch, mainly only fedora and debian. So thats why I cloned it from github.

Should I install AUR? I read that its sometimes causes errors in the system and some people dont use it anymore, but if you think its fine then I'll trust it. Can I use the wireguard file instead of openvpn? Should I use 'sudo yay -S mullvadvpn?' Or what is the command for downloading it?

That’s a more nuanced question than I can answer for you.

The reason people don’t like using the arch user repository is because there’s no real standard of work quality there. In an ideal world, your package manager has a defined set of instructions that would install a package to your computer that is replicable and standardized. This is what pacman for Arch users, apt for Debian users, xbps for void users, etc. is attempting to accomplish.

The AUR doesn’t have any standardization, nor does it have any quality checking. There’s no official maintainer who can say that a package build for an AUR package is of any quality. That’s it’s biggest downfall.

That being the case though, you have to decide for yourself if you want an AUR package manager. Do you want a package manager that just installs package, even if you don’t know where those packages are going or how it affects your system? In most cases, you probably don’t. But in the advent of convenience, maybe you do.

If I had to say, I would say yes, you should install an AUR package manager. That being said though, my next suggestion is to use it frugally. It’s better than just cloning a git repository in that it’s actually managed, and can easily be uninstalled or modified. But using it too much can be detrimental in that if your file system may at some point become cluttered and disorganized.

As for the wireguard file, you may absolutely use wireguard instead of openvpn. Mullvad encouraged that, actually. You’re not bound by openvpn in the slightest.

And yes, the package name in the AUR is mullvad. As a bit of a protip, you shouldn’t use sudo in conjunction with an AUR package manager. Again, it’s not standardized in any way. That can open you up to privilege escalation (you don’t know what commands are being executed by the package build). AUR package managers use a fakeroot to build packages and will call sudo when appropriate so you’re not vulnerable to such attacks.

Quote:(05-05-2021, 10:46 AM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 09:43 AM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

The reason people don’t like using the arch user repository is because there’s no real standard of work quality there. In an ideal world, your package manager has a defined set of instructions that would install a package to your computer that is replicable and standardized. This is what pacman for Arch users, apt for Debian users, xbps for void users, etc. is attempting to accomplish.

The AUR doesn’t have any standardization, nor does it have any quality checking. There’s no official maintainer who can say that a package build for an AUR package is of any quality. That’s it’s biggest downfall.

That being the case though, you have to decide for yourself if you want an AUR package manager. Do you want a package manager that just installs package, even if you don’t know where those packages are going or how it affects your system? In most cases, you probably don’t. But in the advent of convenience, maybe you do.

If I had to say, I would say yes, you should install an AUR package manager. That being said though, my next suggestion is to use it frugally. It’s better than just cloning a git repository in that it’s actually managed, and can easily be uninstalled or modified. But using it too much can be detrimental in that if your file system may at some point become cluttered and disorganized.

As for the wireguard file, you may absolutely use wireguard instead of openvpn. Mullvad encouraged that, actually. You’re not bound by openvpn in the slightest.

And yes, the package name in the AUR is mullvad. As a bit of a protip, you shouldn’t use sudo in conjunction with an AUR package manager. Again, it’s not standardized in any way. That can open you up to privilege escalation (you don’t know what commands are being executed by the package build). AUR package managers use a fakeroot to build packages and will call sudo when appropriate so you’re not vulnerable to such attacks.

Okay. To begin with, I appreciate your full-length answer, but also your mature way of dealing with me after our fall-out. You dont really seem to hold any greviances against me, even though I almost made an attempt of character-assassinating you. The reason I did that was because I felt like other people, but not you, had been picking on me, so I used you as a means to an end. But you seem to think that you had done something to me, no. You were a mere victim of this cruelty. But this isnt me trying to roleplay with you or anything, its a bit off-topic, but Im saying it just to sort things out between us. I see myself as a good person, a classic, and a peacekeeper. But I dont want to end up as miso. Enough of that. :smile:

Yes, your way of putting it with AUR and mullvad was a bit blunt, but very good. I think thats the way you want it to be. You described it very clearly, and now I know why there have been such issues with installing it. The reason I didnt want to use AUR was because of some dependency issues, and because it's been known to cause some issues. But if I can install mullvad with it, Im gonna give it a try.

Do I just have to do:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

And then:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

?

I can assure that I have alot to learn, Im very humble about my skills with Arch. I dont know anything, almost, haha :smile: But I dont have that much expectations on myself either. I love to learn more, and I appreciate your help.

Also, the Arch repository, is that like a repository that you dont use with pacman? Because I dont even think Ive even used it? Or is it with pacman? Apreciate your response.

Quote:(05-05-2021, 04:08 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 10:46 AM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 09:43 AM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Okay. To begin with, I appreciate your full-length answer, but also your mature way of dealing with me after our fall-out. You dont really seem to hold any greviances against me, even though I almost made an attempt of character-assassinating you. The reason I did that was because I felt like other people, but not you, had been picking on me, so I used you as a means to an end. But you seem to think that you had done something to me, no. You were a mere victim of this cruelty. But this isnt me trying to roleplay with you or anything, its a bit off-topic, but Im saying it just to sort things out between us. I see myself as a good person, a classic, and a peacekeeper. But I dont want to end up as miso. Enough of that. :smile:

Yes, your way of putting it with AUR and mullvad was a bit blunt, but very good. I think thats the way you want it to be. You described it very clearly, and now I know why there have been such issues with installing it. The reason I didnt want to use AUR was because of some dependency issues, and because it's been known to cause some issues. But if I can install mullvad with it, Im gonna give it a try.

Do I just have to do:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

And then:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

?

I can assure that I have alot to learn, Im very humble about my skills with Arch. I dont know anything, almost, haha :smile: But I dont have that much expectations on myself either. I love to learn more, and I appreciate your help.

Also, the Arch repository, is that like a repository that you dont use with pacman? Because I dont even think Ive even used it? Or is it with pacman? Apreciate your response.

To install Yay, you'll have to run these commands to get it installed. Yay isn't in the official repos, so you'll have to git clone it. Use "sudo" or "doas" when necessary

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.