Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 219 Vote(s) - 3.66 Average
How do I protect static files with ASP.NET form authentication on IIS 7.5?

I have a website running on a IIS 7.5 server with ASP.NET 4.0 on a shared host, but in full trust.

The site is a basic "file browser" that allows the visitors to login and have a list of files available to them displayed, and, obviously, download the files. The static files (mostly pdf files) are located in a sub folder on the site called data, e.g.

[To see links please register here]

The site uses ASP.NET form authentication.

My question is: How do I get the ASP.NET engine to handle the requests for the static files in the data folder, so that request for files are authenticated by ASP.NET, and users are not able to deep link to a file and grab files they are not allowed to have?

If you application pool is running in Integrated mode then you can do the following.

Add the following to your top level web.config.

<system.webServer>
<modules>
<add name="FormsAuthenticationModule" type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule" />
<remove name="UrlAuthorization" />
<add name="UrlAuthorization" type="System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule" />
<remove name="DefaultAuthentication" />
<add name="DefaultAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.DefaultAuthenticationModule" />
</modules>
</system.webServer>

Now you can use the standard ASP.NET permissions in your web.config to force forms authentication for all files in the directory.

<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
<authentication mode="Forms" />
</system.web>

I had the same problem with getting roles to authenticate. Through trial and error I finally got it to work with a small edit to @Joel Cunningham's code:

<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true" >

I used these two sites as references: [

][1] and [

][2]

[1]:

[2]:

This is an old thread, but I happened on it and ran into the same problem as Egil. Here is the version of Joel's fix that includes roles:

<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="false">
<remove name="FormsAuthenticationModule" />
<add name="FormsAuthenticationModule" type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule" />
<add name="UrlAuthorization" type="System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule" />
<remove name="RoleManager" />
<add name="RoleManager" type="System.Web.Security.RoleManagerModule" />
<add name="DefaultAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.DefaultAuthenticationModule" />
</modules>

I wanted to know why it would be required to re-add modules (with default options) that are added by default for the Integrated Pipeline, so I dug a little deeper.

You need to remove and re-add the modules because, by default, the modules aren't added with the default options. They have a precondition added for backwards compatibility to run only for content handled by a registered ASP.NET handler (e.g., .aspx pages).

The default looks like this:

<add name="FormsAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule"
preCondition="managedHandler" />

By removing the modules and re-adding them without a precondition, those individual modules run for every request (including your static content). It is more granular than enabling `runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests`.

You can read about it in a couple articles from when the Integrated Pipeline was introduced with IIS 7:

- [ASP.NET Integration with IIS 7][1]
- [How to Take Advantage of the IIS 7.0 Integrated Pipeline][2]

Note that there is a typo or the module name in the second article (and @John's answer) was changed from `FormsAuthenticationModule` to `FormsAuthentication` at some point.

The set of working modules in IIS 7.5 thru 8.5 looks like this for me:

<system.webServer>
<modules>
<!-- Re-add auth modules (in their original order) to run for all static and dynamic requests -->
<remove name="FormsAuthentication" />
<add name="FormsAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule" />
<remove name="RoleManager" />
<add name="RoleManager" type="System.Web.Security.RoleManagerModule" />
</modules>
</system.webServer>

[1]:

[2]:

If you application pool is running in Classic mode, you can do the following. You will have to repeat these steps for each file extension you'd like to handle, but I'm using `.html` here.

First, add a page build provider to the Web.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation>
<buildProviders>
<add type="System.Web.Compilation.PageBuildProvider" extension=".html"/>
</buildProviders>
</compilation>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Then add a page handler factory:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<httpHandlers>
<add type="System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory" path="*.html" verb="*"/>
</httpHandlers>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Then add a page handler:

<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<handlers>
<add scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" path="*.html" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" name="HtmlHandler-Classic-32" />
<add scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness64" path="*.html" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" name="HtmlHandler-Classic-64"/>
</handlers>
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

This worked for me. (Credit:

.)

Addendum:

As @eych noted the accepted answer also blocks access to the `~/Content` folder (or wherever you have your CSS), and `~/Scripts`, and so on.

If you want to allow exceptions -- i.e. allow certain files/folders to be accessible by unauthenticated users -- you can do that by means of the `location` element. Add the following to `web.config`:

<location path="Content">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

---
**Update:**
An alternative solution is to is to leave access on by default -- which will allow access to your CSS / JavaScript / etc. -- and apply the "lock" (only) to the folder where the static content is stored:

<location path="data">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

Caveat: in our case (an MVC site) we needed to decorate all our controller actions (except login) with `[AuthorizeAttribute]`. Which is a good idea anyway, but had previously not been necessary (because previously _any_ unauthorized request was redirected to the login page).