Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 366 Vote(s) - 3.48 Average
How does has_secure_password work in my model class?

I'm doing the [Rails tutorial by Michael Hartl][1], and I've come to the point where you simply add:

has_secure_password

to your model class and a bunch of magic happens.

I understand that this method comes from the `ActiveModel::SecurePassword` module that is included in `ActiveRecord::Base`, which my model class extends.

What I don't understand is what is going on when I add that one line to my class definition. Can somebody please explain, in as much detail as possible. I really want to understand what is going on and not just throw stuff at my app not knowing how it works.

(If it helps to understand why I'm confused, I come from a Java background and I'm new to Ruby)

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

The easiest way of understanding what anything's doing is to consult the source! In this case, that would be the [ActiveModel::SecurePassword documentation](

). From that, you can see that `has_secure_password` does this:

def has_secure_password
# Load bcrypt-ruby only when has_secure_password is used.
# This is to avoid ActiveModel (and by extension the entire framework) being dependent on a binary library.
gem 'bcrypt-ruby', '~> 3.0.0'
require 'bcrypt'

attr_reader :password

validates_confirmation_of :password
validates_presence_of :password_digest

include InstanceMethodsOnActivation

if respond_to?(:attributes_protected_by_default)
def self.attributes_protected_by_default
super + ['password_digest']
end
end
end

To explain in English, this function:

1. Loads the `bcrypt-ruby` Gem and requires `bcrypt`. [bcrypt](

) is a secure hashing function that you can learn more about in Wikipedia.
2. Adds a read-only attribute to the model called `password`.
3. Validates that the password is confirmed by another field, called `password_confirmation`. In other words, you have to enter the password twice to confirm it.
4. Ensures that password_digest is present before a model is saved.
5. Load the [instance methods](

), which in this case are `authenticate` (which returns true if the password is correct, otherwise false) and `password=`, which encrypts the passed password into the password_digest attribute.
6. If the method has attributes that are protected by default, this will also add `password_digest` to that list of protected attributes. (Thus preventing it from being mass assigned.)

You can learn more at the [ActiveModel::SecurePassword documentation](

) and the [further documentation on its instance attributes](

).