Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 264 Vote(s) - 3.62 Average
How to convert SecureString to System.String?

All reservations about unsecuring your SecureString by creating a System.String out of it **aside**, how can it be done?

How can I convert an ordinary System.Security.SecureString to System.String?

I'm sure many of you who are familiar with SecureString are going to respond that one should never transform a SecureString to an ordinary .NET string because it removes all security protections. **I know**. But right now my program does everything with ordinary strings anyway, and I'm trying to enhance its security and although I'm going to be using an API that returns a SecureString to me I am *not* trying to use that to increase my security.

I'm aware of Marshal.SecureStringToBSTR, but I don't know how to take that BSTR and make a System.String out of it.

For those who may demand to know why I would ever want to do this, well, I'm taking a password from a user and submitting it as an html form POST to log the user into a web site. So... this really has to be done with managed, unencrypted buffers. If I could even get access to the unmanaged, unencrypted buffer I imagine I could do byte-by-byte stream writing on the network stream and hope that that keeps the password secure the whole way. I'm hoping for an answer to at least one of these scenarios.

Dang. *right* after posting this I found the answer deep in [this article][1]. But if anyone knows how to access the IntPtr unmanaged, unencrypted buffer that this method exposes, one byte at a time so that I don't have to create a managed string object out of it to keep my security high, please add an answer. :)

static String SecureStringToString(SecureString value)
{
IntPtr bstr = Marshal.SecureStringToBSTR(value);

try
{
return Marshal.PtrToStringBSTR(bstr);
}
finally
{
Marshal.FreeBSTR(bstr);
}
}

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Obviously you know how this defeats the whole purpose of a SecureString, but I'll restate it anyway.

If you want a one-liner, try this: (.NET 4 and above only)

string password = new System.Net.NetworkCredential(string.Empty, securePassword).Password;

Where securePassword is a SecureString.

// using so that Marshal doesn't have to be qualified
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
//using for SecureString
using System.Security;
public string DecodeSecureString (SecureString Convert)
{
//convert to IntPtr using Marshal
IntPtr cvttmpst = Marshal.SecureStringToBSTR(Convert);
//convert to string using Marshal
string cvtPlainPassword = Marshal.PtrToStringAuto(cvttmpst);
//return the now plain string
return cvtPlainPassword;
}

If you use a `StringBuilder` instead of a `string`, you can overwrite the actual value in memory when you are done. That way the password won't hang around in memory until garbage collection picks it up.

StringBuilder.Append(plainTextPassword);
StringBuilder.Clear();
// overwrite with reasonably random characters
StringBuilder.Append(New Guid().ToString());

Use the [`System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal`][1] class:

String SecureStringToString(SecureString value) {
IntPtr valuePtr = IntPtr.Zero;
try {
valuePtr = Marshal.SecureStringToGlobalAllocUnicode(value);
return Marshal.PtrToStringUni(valuePtr);
} finally {
Marshal.ZeroFreeGlobalAllocUnicode(valuePtr);
}
}

If you want to avoid creating a managed string object, you can access the raw data using [`Marshal.ReadInt16(IntPtr, Int32)`][2]:

void HandleSecureString(SecureString value) {
IntPtr valuePtr = IntPtr.Zero;
try {
valuePtr = Marshal.SecureStringToGlobalAllocUnicode(value);
for (int i=0; i < value.Length; i++) {
short unicodeChar = Marshal.ReadInt16(valuePtr, i*2);
// handle unicodeChar
}
} finally {
Marshal.ZeroFreeGlobalAllocUnicode(valuePtr);
}
}