Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 648 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
How to get process id by its service name with a script to variable

I have service named `WinDefend` and it runs on process `svchost.exe`
There other many `svchost.exe` processes and I need to find a way to get its ID.
when I run `tasklist /svc` I can see:
![enter image description here][1]

I am not sure how can I get it.
I found this command but when I tried the `select "PID"` it gave me empty column.
![enter image description here][2]

I need to get the PID of the process to variable.

[1]:

[2]:

$p=Tasklist /svc /fi "SERVICES eq windefend" /fo csv | convertfrom-csv
$p.PID

Annoying as this is, it requires you to set a unique title for your script if you want the pid for the current process. Then search for that unique title within the list of processes. Thankfully, the Title command allows you to do just that. Also see MagicAndi's [response][1]...

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Here is my batch file solution:

@ECHO OFF
:SetVars
SET _Thread=%1
title=ExecBatch_%_Thread%
Set /A "_iPID=0"
:Main
CALL :getPID _iPID %_Thread%
EXIT /b

::----------------
::---- GetPID ----
::----------------
:getPID
setlocal
set _getPIDcmd=tasklist /v /fo csv
for /f "tokens=2 delims=," %%i in ('%_getPIDcmd% ^| findstr /i "ExecBatch_%2"') do (
echo %%~i
set _pid=%%~i
)
endlocal & Set %~1=%_pid%
exit /b

BTW, I've had the 'pleasure' of doing this time and time again over the years, via API, or batch, or ps. Pick your poison - on a Windows platform it's all the same.

I found an even better way via powershell: $pid returns the current process' process id.

An alternative way to get a process PID:

$serviceName = 'svchost.exe'
$pidArgumentPlacement = 1

# Call for the verbose version of tasklist and filter it for the line with your service's name.
$serviceAsCSVString = tasklist /v /fo csv | findstr /i $serviceName

# Remove the quotes from the CSV string
$serviceCSVStringWithoutQuotes = $serviceAsCSVString -replace '["]'
# Turn the string into an array by cutting at the comma
$serviceAsArray = $serviceCSVStringWithoutQuotes -split ","
# Get the pid from the array
$servicePID = $serviceAsArray[$pidArgumentPlacement]

Or you can sum it up to:

$servicePID = $($($(tasklist /v /fo csv | findstr /i $serviceName) -replace '["]') -split ",")[$pidArgumentPlacement]

**Note:** This will grab the first service that matches your `$serviceName`, if you run a service that runs several instances of itself _(e.x. slack)_ you'll only get the first pid. `tasklist /v /fi "IMAGENAME eq slack.exe" /fo csv` will return an array with each CSV line being an array entry. You can also filter this with `findstr` to avoid getting the column names.

EDIT:
As WinDefend is a subservice of a program (In this case `svchost.exe`) you may need to swap the verbose flag for `tasklist` to `/svc` like so:

$serviceAsCSVString = tasklist /svc /fo csv | findstr /i $serviceName

alternatively search for the service's name through a filter:

$serviceAsCSVString = tasklist /svc /fi "SERVICES eq $serviceName" /fo csv | findstr /i $serviceName

And taking into account that the filter returns a row of column names as well as the line you were looking for:

$serviceCSVStringWithoutQuotes = $serviceAsCSVString[1] -replace '["]'

Assuming you've changed `$serviceName` to `WinDefend` instead of `svchost.exe`.

# Enter servicename. (instead of 'netman')
$service = Get-CimInstance -class win32_service | Where-Object name -eq 'netman' | select name, processid
$process = Get-Process | Where-Object ID -EQ $service.processid
Clear-Host
Write-Host '********* ServiceName, PID and ProcessName ******'
Write-Host 'ServiceName:' $service.name
Write-Host 'ID:' $process.Id
Write-Host 'ProcessName:' $process.Name

Thanks,

I have used this and it works fine. YMMV

$ProcessName = "SomeProcessName"

$pidnumber = Get-Process -Name $ProcessName | Select -expand ID

Get-Process -Id ((Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name -eq 'WinDefend'").ProcessId)

`tasklist` is just returning text, not actual objects that have properties you can access. You can use WMI to get this information instead:

$id = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name LIKE 'WinDefend'" |
Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProcessId

$process = Get-Process -Id $id

**Update for PowerShell Core**

In version 6, Windows PowerShell started towards cross platform support with PowerShell Core based on .NET Core. This led to many changes in cmdlets that were Windows-centric and some being left out completely. WMI is a Windows only technology, so its cmdlets (e.g. Get-WmiObject) were not ported over. However, its features are available via CIM cmdlets (e.g. Get-CimInstance) here is a version that will work on PowerShell 6+:

$id = Get-CimInstance -Class Win32_Service -Filter "Name LIKE 'WinDefend'" |
Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProcessId

$process = Get-Process -Id $id

The answer is simple. (gps -id (get-wmiobject -query "select * from win32_service where name='sevicename'").processid).priority class="priority"

Do that command and it will set the specified service even it's in svchost.

Edited: You are only looking for the PID. just do the same command minus the priority setting. I was assuming you are going to use it to set priority. Hehe