Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 273 Vote(s) - 3.64 Average
How to iterate through XML in Powershell?

I have this XML document in a text file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Objects>
<Object Type="System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject">
<Property Name="DisplayName" Type="System.String">SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)</Property>
<Property Name="ServiceState" Type="Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Wmi.ServiceState">Running</Property>
</Object>
<Object Type="System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject">
<Property Name="DisplayName" Type="System.String">SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)</Property>
<Property Name="ServiceState" Type="Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Wmi.ServiceState">Stopped</Property>
</Object>
</Objects>

I want to iterate through each object and find the `DisplayName` and `ServiceState`. How would I do that? I've tried all kinds of combinations and am struggling to work it out.

I'm doing this to get the XML into a variable:

`[xml]$priorServiceStates = Get-Content $serviceStatePath;`

where `$serviceStatePath` is the xml file name shown above. I then thought I could do something like:

foreach ($obj in $priorServiceStates.Objects.Object)
{
if($obj.ServiceState -eq "Running")
{
$obj.DisplayName;
}
}

And in this example I would want a string outputted with `SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)`

PowerShell has built-in XML and XPath functions.
You can use the Select-Xml cmdlet with an XPath query to select nodes from XML object and then
.Node.'#text' to access node value.

<!-- language: sh -->

[xml]$xml = Get-Content $serviceStatePath
$nodes = Select-Xml "//Object[Property/@Name='ServiceState' and Property='Running']/Property[@Name='DisplayName']" $xml
$nodes | ForEach-Object {$_.Node.'#text'}

Or shorter

<!-- language: sh -->

[xml]$xml = Get-Content $serviceStatePath
Select-Xml "//Object[Property/@Name='ServiceState' and Property='Running']/Property[@Name='DisplayName']" $xml |
% {$_.Node.'#text'}

You can also do it without the [xml] cast. (Although xpath is a world unto itself.

[To see links please register here]

)

$xml = (select-xml -xpath / -path stack.xml).node
$xml.objects.object.property

Or just this, xpath is case sensitive. Both have the same output:

$xml = (select-xml -xpath /Objects/Object/Property -path stack.xml).node
$xml

Name Type #text
---- ---- -----
DisplayName System.String SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)
ServiceState Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Wmi.ServiceState Running
DisplayName System.String SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)
ServiceState Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Wmi.ServiceState Stopped