Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 1082 Vote(s) - 3.54 Average
Inserting new columns in the middle of a table?

When one uses "ALTER TABLE tab ADD col", the new column gets added to the end of the table. For example:

TABLE: TAB
COL_1 COL_2 COL_4

ALTER TABLE TAB ADD COL_3

table will become

COL_1 COL_2 COL_4 COL_3

However as the naming of my example columns suggests I'd actually like the table to end up like this:

COL_1 COL_2 COL_3 COL_4

With COL_3 before COL_4.

Besides rebuilding the table from scratch, is there any standard SQL that will get the job done? However if there is no standard SQL, I could still use some vendor dependent solutions for Oracle, but again a standard solution would be best.

Thanks.

By default, columns are only added at the end.

To insert a column in the middle, you have to drop and recreate the table and all related objects (constraints, indices, defaults, relationships, etc).

Several tools do this for you, and depending on the size of the table, this may be an intensive operation.

You may also consider creating views on the table that display columns in the order of preferrence (overriding the actual order in the table).

<http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL_FAQ#How_does_one_add_a_column_to_the_middle_of_a_table.3F> says it can't be done, and suggests workarounds of renaming the table and doing a `create table as select...` or (something I am unfamiliar with) "Use the DBMS_REDEFINITION package to change the structure".

> ALTER TABLE TABLENAME
> ALTER COLUMN COLUMNNAME
> POSITION X;

I know it's old subject (2009) but maybe it will help someone that still looks for an answer. In MySQL, it works 2 add a column anywhere in the table.

ALTER TABLE `tablename` ADD `column_name1` TEXT NOT NULL AFTER `column_name2`;

This is 2 enter a text column, but u can set whatever properties u want for the new column, just make sure u write them with caps.

I found it with Xampp, MySQL admin, when i used it 2 insert a column in the middle of a MySQL table.

Hope it helps.

It works.

ALTER TABLE tablename ADD columnname datatype AFTER columnname;

As per my small research the only way is to create the views of the previous table in a required order of columns or else recreate the table from the scratch and in some sql query tools the 'AFTER' keyword might work".

If you have table col_1, col_2, col_4, you wanted to add col_3 after col_2, you can simply do this:

alter table <table_name> modify col_4 invisible;
alter table <table_name> add col_3 <type>;
alter table <table_name> modify col_4 visible;