Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 116 Vote(s) - 3.66 Average
Installation

I still lack some perspective on why AND when folks would want to install Kali, parrot, cubes, or tails on their hard drive vs running a live install vs either of the previous but on a virtual machine, and was wondering if someone with a wide scope of experience can simplify a few points for me?

I am doing my part in learning, but I simply don't have the experience to know the difference or importance as to why you would choose whatever combination you need.

I have installed Kali in every way possible. for example. I use it on a hard drive install, encrypted, and prefer the speed and hardware acceleration. But I'm not working for a pen testing company, in fact, I may never be at that skill level to do so.

Why usb persistence with encryption... or where? when would you need this protection.

Why hard drive install and would encryption be enough to protect you from potential prying eyes?

Why would you want to use a VM with either hard drive install or live... and when... for what reasons... ?

This will help me understand more about how Linux is designed to be used of course. and perhaps some behavioral habits I should start to learn.
Thanks for any light you can help shed on my condition. cheers.

I'll only answer the first and last questions. The other relates to the rest.

Quote:Why usb persistence with encryption... or where? when would you need this protection
This creates a persistent encrypted partition on the USB stick to (obviously) secure files etc with each reboot. That Is, It retains & securely saves changes on the USB drive.

Quote:Why would you want to use a VM with either hard drive install or live... and when... for what reasons... ?
You cannot save sessions, settings and so forth when running a Live CD/USB. All will be lost on reboot. A VHD functions the same as a HDD- Is not volatile and saves changes.

This, I already understand. I was hoping for more detail or examples though.

Quote:(11-01-2018, 03:51 AM)mothered Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

I'll only answer the first and last questions. The other relates to the rest.

Quote:Why usb persistence with encryption... or where? when would you need this protection
This creates a persistent encrypted partition on the USB stick to (obviously) secure files etc with each reboot. That Is, It retains & securely saves changes on the USB drive.

Quote:Why would you want to use a VM with either hard drive install or live... and when... for what reasons... ?
You cannot save sessions, settings and so forth when running a Live CD/USB. All will be lost on reboot. A VHD functions the same as a HDD- Is not volatile and saves changes.

very good detail information.

Quote:(02-06-2019, 09:31 PM)natifix Wrote:

This, I already understand. I was hoping for more detail or examples though. :smile:

What specifics are you questioning?

Quote:(02-07-2019, 02:39 AM)darkninja1980 Wrote:

Quote: (02-07-2019, 02:36 AM)mothered Wrote:

Quote: (02-06-2019, 09:31 PM)natifix Wrote:

This, I already understand. I was hoping for more detail or examples though. :smile:

Does he want to do a dual boot?

I'm awaiting his/her response.

Quote:(02-07-2019, 02:36 AM)mothered Wrote:

Quote: (02-06-2019, 09:31 PM)natifix Wrote:

Does he want to do a dual boot?

Sorry. erm, hard for me to nail down specifics because of my lack of context in how these tools can be used. I get that these tools are used to keep my identity concealed and or the activities one would take online.

Im directly interested in wireless attacks atm because Im new and thats where I already have some background study and experience with... Im using kali and a hard install on a usb or an SSD. which ever. I dont intend to break any laws but want to learn and create an environment I can learn in.

Quote:(02-07-2019, 03:22 AM)natifix Wrote:

but want to learn and create an environment I can learn in.

As In a controlled environment with anonymity measures In place?

I have no idea really... something for a scrub to start learning in...