Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 690 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
Is there a standard for storing normalized phone numbers in a database?

What is a good data structure for storing phone numbers in database fields? I'm looking for something that is flexible enough to handle international numbers, and also something that allows the various parts of the number to be queried efficiently.

**Edit:** Just to clarify the use case here: I currently store numbers in a single varchar field, and I leave them just as the customer entered them. Then, when the number is needed by code, I normalize it. The problem is that if I want to query a few million rows to find matching phone numbers, it involves a function, like

where dbo.f_normalizenum(num1) = dbo.f_normalizenum(num2)

which is terribly inefficient. Also queries that are looking for things like the area code become extremely tricky when it's just a single varchar field.

**[Edit]**

People have made lots of good suggestions here, thanks! As an update, here is what I'm doing now: I still store numbers exactly as they were entered, in a varchar field, but instead of normalizing things at query time, I have a trigger that does all that work as records are inserted or updated. So I have ints or bigints for any parts that I need to query, and those fields are indexed to make queries run faster.

Perhaps storing the phone number sections in different columns, allowing for blank or null entries?

I think free text (maybe varchar(25)) is the most widely used standard. This will allow for any format, either domestic or international.

I guess the main driving factor may be how exactly you're querying these numbers and what you're doing with them.

KISS - I'm getting tired of many of the US web sites. They have some cleverly written code to validate postal codes and phone numbers. When I type my perfectly valid Norwegian contact info I find that quite often it gets rejected.

Leave it a string, unless you have some specific need for something more advanced.

I find most web forms correctly allow for the country code, area code, then the remaining 7 digits but almost always forget to allow entry of an extension. This almost always ends up making me utter angry words, since at work we don't have a receptionist, and my ext.# is needed to reach me.

I personally like the idea of storing a normalized varchar phone number (e.g. 9991234567) then, of course, formatting that phone number inline as you display it.

This way all the data in your database is "clean" and free of formatting

> I find most web forms correctly allow for the country code, area code, then the remaining 7 digits but almost always forget to allow entry of an extension. This almost always ends up making me utter angry words, since at work we don't have a receptionist, and my ext.# is needed to reach me.

I would have to check, but I think our DB schema is similar. We hold a country code (it might default to the US, not sure), area code, 7 digits, and extension.

I would go for a freetext field and a field that contains a purely numeric version of the phone number. I would leave the representation of the phone number to the user and use the normalized field specifically for phone number comparisons in TAPI-based applications or when trying to find double entries in a phone directory.
Of course it does not hurt providing the user with an entry scheme that adds intelligence like separate fields for country code (if necessary), area code, base number and extension.

The [Wikipedia page on E.164][1] should tell you everything you need to know.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Ok, so based on the info on this page, here is a start on an international phone number validator:

function validatePhone(phoneNumber) {
var valid = true;
var stripped = phoneNumber.replace(/[\(\)\.\-\ \+\x]/g, '');

if(phoneNumber == ""){
valid = false;
}else if (isNaN(parseInt(stripped))) {
valid = false;
}else if (stripped.length > 40) {
valid = false;
}
return valid;
}