Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 343 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
Is this a reasonable use of the ternary operator?

A proper if statement is more readable, as others have mentioned. Also, when you're stepping through your code with a debugger, you won't be able to readily see which branch of an if is taken when everything is in one line or you're using a ternary expression:

if (cond) doIt();

cond ? noop() : doIt();

Whereas the following is much nicer to step through (whether you have the braces or not):

if (cond) {
doIt();
}

I think that sometimes the ternary are a necessary evil in initializer lists for constructors. I use them mostly for constructors where I want to allocate memory and set some pointer to point at it before the body of the constructor.

An example, suppose you had an integer storage class that you wanted to have take a vector as an input but the internal representation is an array:

class foo
{
public:
foo(std::vector<int> input);
private:
int* array;
unsigned int size;
};

foo:foo(std::vector<int> input):size(input.size()), array( (input.size()==0)?
NULL : new int[input.size])
{
//code to copy elements and do other start up goes here
}

This is how I use the ternary operator. I don't think it is as confusing as some people do but I do think that one should limit how much they use it.

Most of the tortured ternaries (how's that for alliteration?) I see are merely attempts at putting logic that really belongs in an if statement in a place where an if statement doesn't belong or can't go.

For instance:

if (inVar1 != 0)
v.push_back(inVar1);
if (inVar2 != 0)
v.push_back(inVar2);

works assuming that v.push_back is void, but what if it's returning a value that needs to get passed to another function? In that case, it would have to look something like this:

SomeType st;
if (inVar1 != 0)
st = v.push_back(inVar1);
else if (inVar2 != 0)
st = v.push_back(inVar2);
SomeFunc(st);

But that's more to digest for such a simple piece of code. My solution: define another function.

SomeType GetST(V v, int inVar1, int inVar2){
if (inVar1 != 0)
return v.push_back(inVar1);
if (inVar2 != 0)
return v.push_back(inVar2);
}

//elsewhere
SomeFunc(GetST(V v, inVar1, inVar2));

At any rate, the point is this: if you have some logic that's too tortured for a ternary but will clutter up your code if it's put in an if statement, put it somewhere else!

As mentioned, it's not shorter or clearer than a 1 line if statement. However, it's also no longer - and isn't really that hard to grok. If you know the ternary operator, it's pretty obvious what's happening.

After all, I don't think anyone would have a problem if it was being assigned to a variable (even if it was mutating state as well):

var2 = inVar1 == 0 ? NULL : v.push_back(inVar1);

The fact that the ternary operator always returns a value - IMO - is irrelevant. There's certainly no requirement that you use all return values...after all, an assignment returns a value.

That being said, I'd replace it with an if statement if I ran across it with a NULL branch.

*But*, if it replaced a 3 line if statement:

if (inVar == 0) {
v.doThingOne(1);
} else {
v.doThingTwo(2);
}

with:

invar1 == 0 ? v.doThingOne(1) : v.doThingTwo(2);

I *might* leave it...depending on my mood. ;)

I think it's confusing and a lot harder to read than simply typing;

if (inVar != 0)
v.push_back(inVar);

I had to scan your example several times to figure out what the result would be with any certainty. I'd even prefer a single-line if() {} statement than your example - and I hate single-line if statements :)

inVar1 != 0 || v.push_back(inVar1);
inVar2 != 0 || v.push_back(inVar2);

common pattern found in languages like Perl.

**Your use of the ternary operator gains you nothing and you hurt the codes readability.**

Since the ternary operator returns a value that you are not using it is odd code. The use of an `if` is much more clear in a case like yours.