Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 206 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Java web frameworks

I was looking around to see if there is an equivalent to django/RoR in java.

***I found:***

- [Play Framework][1]
- [Grails][2]

Does anyone have ever tried those frameworks, or do you know any other?
Are they faster than django/RoR?

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

[3]:

I don't know about the Play Framework, but to answer the second question,
we are doing some projects with Google's [Webtoolkit][1].
Could be worth checking out.
Good luck!

[1]:

I don't know about Play Framework, but [Spring MVC][1] or [Struts][2] together will [Hibernate][3] will offer similar functionality.

There are many other options available. Basically you need an MVC framework (Spring MVC, Struts, Wicket) and an ORM tool (Hibernate, iBatis). Of course you would need to integrate the needed components yourself, but this has been done already many times and you will be able to find plenty of information.

[1]:

[2]:

[3]:

How about [JRoR][1]

[1]:

I'm not sure if Spring MVC and Hibernate provides the same ease of use that Ruby on Rails provides (actually, I'm sure it is much more complicated...).
Play Framework is much more like Ruby on Rails I think, however I didn't us it myself and only watched the screencast and read some documentation on it, so if you want to have a similar experience to developing using RoR, I think you can better try something like Play instead of Spring MVC with Hibernate. The advantage of the latter is that it is very powerful and is able to adapt to an existing datamodel for example (from what I know on RoR, that is not very trivial in RoR).
Another framework you could consider is Groovy on Grails. While it doesn't use Java (it uses Groovy), it is very RoR-like. It uses Spring and Hibernate under the hood (if I'm correct) and the advantage of Groovy is that you don't have the strict static typing of Java.
Ruby on Rails and Django benefit heavily from the dynamic nature of the language in which it is implemented, a feature Java misses because of its static typing.

Edit: ah, you mentioned Grails already in your question...

if grails is an option (which is actually not a java but a groovy framework) then the Scala-based [Lift][1] framework would be an option, too.

[1]:

Haven't tried it myself, but colleges of mine enjoy using [stripes][1]

There's a [book][2] and everything.

[1]:

"stripes"
[2]:

Another option is [RIFE][1], which tries to have the minimal configuration of RoR while still being in Java. On your list, only Play Framework has that feature, the others are on the JVM, but are not Java (if that is important to you at all).

[1]:

[Stripes][1] seems to be quite lightweight and embraces Convention over Configuration.

[1]:

What about [VRaptor][1]? - it uses Spring as DI Container and a Controller/View engine similar to Rails Action-Pack.

[1]: