Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 393 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
Keeping it simple and how to do multiple CTE in a query

I have this simple T-SQL query, it emits a bunch of columns from a table and also joins information from other _related_ tables.

My data model is simple. I have a scheduled event, with participants. I need to know how many participants participate in each event.

My solution to this is to add a CTE that groups scheduled events and counts the number of participants.

This will allow me to join in that information per scheduled event. Keeping the query simple.

I like to keep my queries simple, however, If I ever in the future need to have additonal temporary results accessible during my simple query, what do I do?

I would really like it, if I could have multiple CTEs but I can't, right? What are my options here?

I've ruled out views and doing things at the application data layer. I prefer to isolated my SQL queries.

You can have multiple `CTE`s in one query, as well as reuse a `CTE`:

WITH cte1 AS
(
SELECT 1 AS id
),
cte2 AS
(
SELECT 2 AS id
)
SELECT *
FROM cte1
UNION ALL
SELECT *
FROM cte2
UNION ALL
SELECT *
FROM cte1

Note, however, that `SQL Server` may reevaluate the `CTE` each time it is accessed, so if you are using values like `RAND()`, `NEWID()` etc., they may change between the `CTE` calls.

You certainly are able to have multiple CTEs in a single query expression. You just need to separate them with a comma. Here is an example. In the example below, there are two CTEs. One is named `CategoryAndNumberOfProducts` and the second is named `ProductsOverTenDollars`.

WITH CategoryAndNumberOfProducts (CategoryID, CategoryName, NumberOfProducts) AS
(
SELECT
CategoryID,
CategoryName,
(SELECT COUNT(1) FROM Products p
WHERE p.CategoryID = c.CategoryID) as NumberOfProducts
FROM Categories c
),

ProductsOverTenDollars (ProductID, CategoryID, ProductName, UnitPrice) AS
(
SELECT
ProductID,