Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 744 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
LIKE vs CONTAINS on SQL Server

Which one of the following queries is faster (LIKE vs CONTAINS)?

SELECT * FROM table WHERE Column LIKE '%test%';

or

SELECT * FROM table WHERE Contains(Column, "test");

The second (assuming you means [`CONTAINS`][1], and actually put it in a valid query) should be faster, because it can use *some* form of index (in this case, a full text index). Of course, this form of query is only available *if* the column is in a full text index. If it isn't, then only the first form is available.

The first query, using LIKE, will be unable to use an index, since it starts with a wildcard, so will always require a full table scan.

---

The `CONTAINS` query should be:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE CONTAINS(Column, 'test');

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Having run both queries on a SQL Server 2012 instance, I can confirm the first query was fastest in my case.

The query with the `LIKE` keyword showed a clustered index scan.

The `CONTAINS` also had a clustered index scan with additional operators for the full text match and a merge join.

![Plan][1]

[1]:

I think that `CONTAINS` took longer and used `Merge` because you had a dash("-") in your query `adventure-works.com`.

The dash is a break word so the `CONTAINS` searched the full-text index for `adventure` and than it searched for `works.com` and merged the results.

Also try changing from this:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE Contains(Column, "test") > 0;

To this:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE Contains(Column, '"*test*"') > 0;

The former will find records with values like "*this is a test*" and "*a test-case is the plan*".

The latter will also find records with values like "*i am testing this*" and "*this is the greatest*".

I didn't understand actually what is going on with "Contains" keyword. I set a full text index on a column. I run some queries on the table.
Like returns 450.518 rows but contains not and like's result is correct
```
SELECT COL FROM TBL WHERE COL LIKE '%41%' --450.518 rows
SELECT COL FROM TBL WHERE CONTAINS(COL,N'41') ---40 rows
SELECT COL FROM TBL WHERE CONTAINS(COL,N'"*41*"') -- 220.364 rows
```