Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 389 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Is there any situation where using MOVDQU and MOVUPD is better than MOVUPS?

I was trying to understand the different MOV instructions for SSE on intel x86-64.

According to [this][1] you should use aligned instructions (MOVAPS, MOVAPD and MOVDQA) when moving data between 2 registers, using the correct one for the type you're operating with. And use MOVUPS/MOVAPS when moving register to memory and vice-versa, since type does not impact performance when moving to/from memory.

So is there any reason to use MOVDQU and MOVUPD ever? Is the explanation I got on the link wrong?

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Note that the link you reference about SSE move performance is rather old and may only apply to older generations of Intel hardware. I've learned that recent microarchitectures improved performance of e.g. unaligned load instructions in cases they are used for actually aligned data. All in all, a short benchmark is your best source of valid information applicable to the particular piece of hardware you have.

**Summary:** I am not aware of any recent x86 architecture that incurs additional delays when using the the "wrong" load instruction (i.e., a load instruction followed by an ALU instruction from the opposite domain).

Here's what [Agner has to say](

) about _bypass delays_ which are the delays you might incur when moving between the various execution domains with in the CPU (sometimes these are unavoidable, but sometimes they may be caused by using the "wrong" version of an instruction which is at issue here):

> Data bypass delays on Nehalem On the Nehalem, the execution units are
> divided into five "domains":
>
> The integer domain handles all operations in general purpose
> registers. The integer vector (SIMD) domain handles integer operations
> in vector registers. The FP domain handles floating point operations
> in XMM and x87 registers. The load domain handles all memory reads.
> The store domain handles all memory stores. There is an extra latency
> of 1 or 2 clock cycles when the output of an operation in one domain
> is used as input in another domain. These so-called bypass delays are
> listed in table 8.2.

[![Table 8.2][1]][1]

> There is **still no extra bypass delay for using load and store
> instructions** on the wrong type of data. For example, it can be
> convenient to use MOVHPS on integer data for reading or writing the
> upper half of an XMM register.

The emphasis in the last paragraph is mine and is the key part: the bypass delays didn't apply to Nehalem load and store instructions. Intuitively, this makes sense: the load and store units are dedicated for the entire core and will have to make their result available in a way suitable for any execution unit (or store it in the PRF) - unlike the ALU case the same concerns with forwarding aren't present.

Now don't really care about Nehalem any more, but in the sections for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake you'll find a note that the domains are as discussed for Nehalem, and that there are fewer delays overall. So one could assume that the behavior where loads and stores don't suffer a delay based on the instruction type remains.

We can also test it. I wrote a benchmark like this:

bypass_movdqa_latency:
sub rsp, 120
xor eax, eax
pxor xmm1, xmm1
.top:
movdqa xmm0, [rsp + rax] ; 7 cycles
pand xmm0, xmm1 ; 1 cycle
movq rax, xmm0 ; 1 cycle
dec rdi
jnz .top
add rsp, 120
ret

This loads a value using `movdqa`, does an integer domain operation (`pand`) on it, and then moves it to general purpose register `rax` so it can be used as part of the address for `movdqa` in the next loop. I also created 3 other benchmarks identical to the above, except with `movdqa` replaced with `movdqu`, `movups` and `movupd`.

The results on Skylake-client (i7-6700HQ with recent microcode):

** Running benchmark group Vector unit bypass latency **
Benchmark Cycles
movdqa [mem] -> pxor latency 9.00
movdqu [mem] -> pxor latency 9.00
movups [mem] -> pxor latency 9.00
movupd [mem] -> pxor latency 9.00

In every case the rountrip latency was the same: 9 cycles, as expected: 6 + 1 + 2 cycles for the load, `pxor` and `movq` respectively.

All of these tests are added in [uarch-bench](

) in case you would like to run them on any other architecture (I would be interested in the results). I used the command line:

./uarch-bench.sh --test-name=vector/* --timer=libpfc

[1]: