Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 503 Vote(s) - 3.59 Average
Mobile Privacy/Security & Border Control

A Vice article recently discussed privacy/security implications for those that are travelling with their mobile phones. I hadn't heard of border agents requesting phone access, and I've traveled across multiple continents. I was curious what Sinisterly thinks of this, and what measures they are taking to ensure security when travelling.

Quote:Privacy advocates and lawyers are advising travellers to wipe their phones of all data when crossing the U.S. border following a number of new reports of border agents seizing mobile devices and demanding passwords.

This week, American customs agents seized the phone of a NASA employee and U.S. citizen and demanded his PIN. In November, Canadian photojournalist Ed Ou had his phone confiscated by border agents, who told him to unlock it, and questioned him for six hours when he refused. Two Moroccan Canadians were denied entry into the U.S. this month, but only after agents had rifled through their phones.

The issue could get worse, if a proposal from Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to demand the social media passwords of some travellers becomes reality.

Growing uncertainty over the rules is putting the onus on people to protect themselves.

Some of the security practices the article recommended were:
  • Wiping the phone, then backing it up. In order to render access useless. (A bit excessive in my opinion.)
  • Encrypt the phone or have a startup password, then leave it off. In order to prevent access. (What I recommend.)
  • Tamper-proof tape or nail polish, to tell if the phone has been tampered with. (Makes it obvious if they obtain access, but doesn't prevent it.)

Read More:

[To see links please register here]

Seems a little excessive...

Isn't there like some kind of warrent needed for this crap?
This is ridiculous questioned him for six hours when he refused

Quote:(02-22-2017, 05:30 AM)Ender Wrote:

Seems a little excessive...

Isn't there like some kind of warrent needed for this crap?
This is ridiculous questioned him for six hours when he refused

Nope. No warrant required. At airports you generally give up a lot of rights.

This Is absolutely appalling.

On what grounds are they requesting access to one's cell phone? Unless It's warranted (with suspicious circumstances), no one has the right to access your personal device. Simply encrypt It and when they ask for the key, tell them you've forgotten It. They can't force you to "remember".

Quote:(02-22-2017, 11:24 AM)mothered Wrote:

This Is absolutely appalling.

On what grounds are they requesting access to one's cell phone? Unless It's warranted (with suspicious circumstances), no one has the right to access your personal device. Simply encrypt It and when they ask for the key, tell them you've forgotten It. They can't force you to "remember".

You'd think the 5th amendment would protect privacy in these cases, at the very least. Most people probably don't want even basic text messages or their camera roll looked at.

This is fucked up man. Looks like I'm taking a boat to Sweden lmao

Quote:(02-22-2017, 12:28 PM)Oni Wrote:

You'd think the 5th amendment would protect privacy in these cases, at the very least. Most people probably don't want even basic text messages or their camera roll looked at.

I certainly agree.

Even an "Image" (depending on the context), can speak a thousand words. For example, the person In the Image may be dressed In company uniform, holding children, and leaning against a late model vehicle with keys In hand. Judging by this alone, you'd have their place of employment, marital status and due to the nature of the vehicle, their financial state. Further research via reverse Image look ups, Facebook, LinkedIn and so on, will reveal a lot more- all from a simple snapshot on their cell phone.

This is ridiculous. They shouldn't be able to do it all, but they should AT LEAST need a warrent in my opinion.
If they'd handle their security well they shouldn't have to do stuff like this.