Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 482 Vote(s) - 3.53 Average
OpenMP, for loop inside section

I would like to run the following code (below). I want to spawn two independent threads, each one would run a parallel for loop. Unfortunately, I get an error. Apparently, parallel `for` cannot be spawned inside `section`. How to solve that?

#include <omp.h>
#include "stdio.h"

int main()
{

omp_set_num_threads(10);

#pragma omp parallel
#pragma omp sections
{
#pragma omp section
#pragma omp for
for(int i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf("x %d\n", i);
}

#pragma omp section
#pragma omp for
for(int i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf(". %d\n", i);
}
} // end parallel and end sections
}

And the error:

main.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
main.cpp:14:9: warning: work-sharing region may not be closely nested inside of work-sharing, critical, ordered, master or explicit task region [enabled by default]
main.cpp:20:9: warning: work-sharing region may not be closely nested inside of work-sharing, critical, ordered, master or explicit task region [enabled by default]

OpenMP cannot create parallel regions inside parallel regions. This is due to the fact that OpenMP create at the beginning of the program num_threads parallel threads, in non parallel regions the others are not used and sleep. They have done this, as the frequent generation of new threads is quite slow compared to waking sleeping threads.

Therefore you should parallelize only the loops:

#include <omp.h>
#include "stdio.h"

int main()
{

omp_set_num_threads(10);

#pragma omp parallel for
for(int i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf("x %d\n", i);
}

#pragma omp parallel for
for(int i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf(". %d\n", i);
}
}

Practically, optimal number of threads is equal to number of available CPU cores. So, every **parallel for** should be handled in all available cores, which is impossible inside of **omp sections**. So, what you are trying to achieve, is not optimal. tune2fs' suggestion to execute two loops without sections makes sense and gives the best possible performance. You can execute parallel loops inside of another functions, but this "cheating" doesn't give performance boost.

Here you have to use nested parallelism. The problem with the `omp for` in the `sections` is that all the threads in scope have to take part in the `omp for`, and they clearly don't — they're broken up by sections. So you have to introduce functions, and do nested paralleism within the functions.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <omp.h>

void doTask1(const int gtid) {
omp_set_num_threads(5);
#pragma omp parallel
{
int tid = omp_get_thread_num();
#pragma omp for
for(int i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf("x %d %d %d\n", i, tid, gtid);
}
}