Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 441 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
Oracle: Concat with delimiter, but only if both operands are NOT NULL

I want to select a concatenation of a couple of fields, but with a separator between them. The separator should only be there if both operands are not null.

So for a record with `a='foo', b=NULL, c='bar'`, I want to get the result `abc='foo;bar'` (not `'foo;;bar'`).

I would like to have a function like `concat_sep(a, b, ';')` that only adds the ';' inbetween if both a and b are not null.

Of course, I can use nvl2 like this:

select
a, b, c,
substr(abc, 1, length(abc) - 1) as abc
from
(select
a, b, c,
nvl2(a, a || ';', '') || nvl2(b, b || ';', '') || nvl2(c, c || ';', '') as abc
from
Table1)

But as you can see, this code becomes cloggy soon, especially when you got more than 3 columns and you've given them sensible names instead of a, b and c. ;-)

I couldn't find a shorter, easier or more readable way, but I thought I'd ask here before giving up entirely (or waste time writing such a function myself).

AFAIK, there's no succinct way to do this.

In the past, I've resorted to

SELECT a
|| DECODE(b
, NULL, NULL
, ';' || b)
|| DECODE(c
, NULL, NULL
, ';' || c)
|| DECODE(d
, NULL, NULL
, ';' || d)
FROM table1

but that's no better than your example.

I know you're using 10g, so that won't work. But for completeness, [`LISTAGG()`][1] handles `NULL` values "correctly". For that you'd have to update to 11g2, though:

-- Some sample data, roughly equivalent to yours
with t as (
select 'foo' as x from dual union all
select null from dual union all
select 'bar' from dual
)
-- Use the listagg aggregate function to join all values
select listagg(x, ';') within group (order by rownum)
from t;

Or a bit more succinct, if you want to list columns from a table:

-- I use SYS.ORA_MINING_VARCHAR2_NT as a TABLE TYPE. Use your own, if you prefer
select listagg(column_value, ';') within group (order by rownum)
from table(ORA_MINING_VARCHAR2_NT('foo', null, 'bar'));

Or against an actual table:

select listagg(column_value, ';')
within group (order by rownum)
from Table1
cross join table(ORA_MINING_VARCHAR2_NT(Table1.a, Table1.b, Table1.c))
group by Table1.id;

Now I'm not sure if this is so much better (more readable) than your original example :-)

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

select trim(';' from REGEXP_REPLACE (a || ';' || b || ';' || c , ';+' , ';')) abc
from Table1

Not all fields will have data sequentially. This is for fields that are blank and without spaces:

1. Evaluate if the field is blank, if so concatenate an empty field so it is ignored and if blank, concatenate the field with a space on the end.

2. Then [TRIM] spaces (leading and trailing), then [REPLACE] spaces with your delimiter.

You can get creative with this until Oracle gives a function to do this.

Code snippet:

SELECT
f1,f2,f3,f4
, REPLACE (TRIM(
CASE WHEN f1 IS NULL THEN '' ELSE f1||' ' END||
CASE WHEN f2 IS NULL THEN '' ELSE f2||' ' END||
CASE WHEN f3 IS NULL THEN '' ELSE f3||' ' END||
CASE WHEN f4 IS NULL THEN '' ELSE f4||' ' END),' ','|') concat_result
from
(SELECT
'I' f1
,'want' f2