Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 891 Vote(s) - 3.42 Average
Prevent an internal Function execution stopping the main execution

### background
I have a `JScript` script running under `WSH`.

The script is fairly simple. It iterates over a list of strings, each string, a `JScript` itself, and run each "internal" script.

### Problem
It is possible that some "internal" script, may call [Quit method](

[To see links please register here]

). This causes the main script to stop, which is **not** desired.

### Simple example

var strSomeScript = "WScript.Quit(1)";

var F = new Function(strSomeScript);
var exitCode = (F)();

WScript.Echo("Continue doing more things...");

the last line will not be executed since the "internal" script stops the execution.

### Question
If I have no control over the content of the "internal" scripts, how can I prevent them from breaking my main flow.

### Requirements
I need to run each "internal" script, wait for it to finish and store its exit code.

If you want only to prevent specifically `WScript.Quit` calls you can simply sanitize your input with a simple replace. (*) If you want to be able to prevent any way of stopping the script - for example, `var x = WScript; x.Quit();` - you're basically trying to solve the [halting problem][Wikipedia_HaltingProblem], which I hear is kind of hard.

If you were using regular JS you could have tried something like:

WScript.Quit = function(e) {
// Assume there's something reasonable to put here
};

or:

var __WScript = WScript;
WScript = { ConnectObject: function(obj, pref) { __WScript.ConnectObject(obj, pref); },
CreateObject: function(progid, pref) { __WScript.CreateObject(obj, pref); },
... };

But the `WScript` object doesn't implement `IDIspatchEx` etc. so that won't work.

The only way do make sure an arbitrary string, when interpreted as JavaScript code, doesn't end your script is not to `eval` that string as part of your script, but rather run it in a brand new context. (And calling the `Function` contrcutor on that string and then calling the resulting object is pretty much the same as `eval`ing it.)

You can write it to a file and execute `wscript.exe` with this file as argument, or use the Microsoft Script Control if you don't want to write a file to disk and/or want to give the script access to objects from the parent script.

---

(*) Not that this makes any sense either way. Lets even say that your only problem is `WScript.Quit`. What are you going to put instead? `return`? That's not going to cut it:

function bar(a) {
if (Pred(a)) {
WScript.Quit(123);
}
return 456;
}

function foo() {
var x = bar(789);
if (!x) {
DoSomethingBad();
}
}

foo();

A script that used to end silently now does something bad. If you "know" that changing the `WScript.Quit` to `return` doesn't do anything bad you should also know that there aren't any `WScript.Quit`s in the code in the first place.

There's simply nothing sensible you can do instead quitting even if you could catch every call to `WScript.Quit`.

[Wikipedia_HaltingProblem]:

[To see links please register here]