Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 904 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
Queue Implementation

Quote:(11-29-2016, 10:10 PM)insidious Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Quote: (11-29-2016, 09:50 PM)bitm0de Wrote:

Quote: (11-29-2016, 09:45 PM)insidious Wrote:

It's grossly incorrect to call a queue a stack. It is FIFO rather than LIFO but they are fundamentally different structures.
I think you only read the first 4 words of my post so you could attempt to correct me by saying exactly what I've already said in the last part of my previous post about FIFO vs LIFO.

He didn't understand what a queue was therefore relating it to the stack and explaining the difference between the two should've been fine for an explanation that leads to his understanding IMO. And the fact that implementation in comparison can be almost 90% similar except for how the dequeue process works makes it an acceptable comparison too. There IS a reason why they were given similar acronyms.

You're saying I can't use similes or metaphors to help someone learn? Now you're just being a pessimist. :/ That's like saying the antonym of some word can't be used to explain the meaning of the opposite word.

Simile:
a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid (e.g., as brave as a lion, crazy like a fox ).
"A Queue is a stack" does not qualify as simile. When you say something IS something else, that does not mean it is like something else.

Metaphor:
a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
"“I had fallen through a trapdoor of depression,” said Mark, who was fond of theatrical metaphors"

Yeee doesn't work.

Listen, i'm not trying to kill your vibe here (maybe a bit), but I don't think it's right to even leave the possibility of leading people in the wrong direction. It can lead to complications down the line.

Quote:And the fact that implementation in comparison can be almost 90% similar except for how the dequeue process works makes it an acceptable comparison too. There IS a reason why they were given similar acronyms.

I didn't say it was an unnaceptable comparison. If you had read my previous posts, I did compare them, and even admit their similarity.
Sure, Queue's and Stacks are very similar. They are, I never denied that. But they are not each other.

Sure, implementation is the same. But that's like saying insertion sort is selection sort because the concept is fundamentally the same. But they aren't, their implementation is totally different and so are their use cases.

Quote:I think you only read the first 4 words of my post so you could attempt to correct me by saying exactly what I've already said in the last part of my previous post about FIFO vs LIFO.
tsk tsk, why would you assume that? I hope you are not taking this personally, and I certainly do not mean it that way. We're talking about abstract concepts here not what we think the other person read in order to shoot shade at the other.

It looks like you know your data structures; good, cool, I'm happy you commented in this thread to help other people out. I'm just trying to provide the clearest possible explanation.

On a test, if @"TotallyRandUser128372139" was asked: "What is a Queue?" and they put: A Queue is a Stack, but FIFO instead of LIFO, they would only get half points. Because a Queue isn't a stack. The correct phrasing would be A Queue is LIKE a stack, but FIFO instead of LIFO that is a perfectly well written simile and absolutely acceptable.

TL;DR I'm being a grammar Nazi but hopefully you glean something from this

[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/2E0RfaUyQvE[/video]

>> "A Queue is a stack" does not qualify as simile.
^
>> tsk tsk, why would you assume that? I hope you are not taking this personally, and I certainly do not mean it that way. We're talking about abstract concepts here not what we think the other person read in order to shoot shade at the other.

I think it's pretty obvious that you only took into account half my post, I don't have to assume it, you've just proven that. Next time quote my entire sentence rather than parts of it that allow for making your argument valid. Explain how a queue cannot a FIFO-based stack? I can give you more reasons why it is than you've managed to provide over your last two posts thus far. I can clearly see this is you ego-tripping here.

Rather than bashing my words based on out of context snippets that you cherry pick from my post to suit your invalid argument, how about some relevant proof now against what I'm really saying? Or are you unable to comprehend the full sentence I posted?

I can break it down for you if you want?

"Queue is a stack but FIFO rather than LIFO" -> "A queue is a FIFO-based stack" (metaphor)

A queue is a reversed stack, that's what I said, I never said it was a (standard LIFO) stack, again you're deliberately and ignorantly choosing to ignore the second half of my post, neglecting the key parts. You JUST finished stating that there are similarities. I'm essentially calling a queue a modified stack; a FIFO stack. You're saying the exact same thing that I've already finished pointing out, but choosing to use half of my post to point out that I'm wrong here lol.

A grammar nazi understands context, which you evidently have no concept of... I never said I used a simile either, I was simply saying that there are different teaching methods and principles that in your omniscience, you ignore.

You just took half of my post and compared it to my full post to point out that it contradicts itself. It's only getting off topic because you've chosen to turn this into a grammar issue. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that most other people have the common sense to see that a stack modified to be FIFO would essentially be more of a queue.

>> does not make it any more of a simile, or any more of a metaphor, either. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make there is.
You aren't able to comprehend what a FIFO-based stack might mean? :/ Not my problem you're closed minded. It is a metaphor, you can't claim to be a grammar nazi and not understand what a metaphor is.

If you're too stubborn to see that I called it a stack with FIFO functionality then you're just being silly here. There's no contradiction because a datastructure can't really be FIFO and LIFO at the same time. The queue definition pretty much matches that of a stack in the context of FIFO functionality instead of LIFO. I've tried pointing this out more than once now but you're just being childish about the matter. Let's not forget who started this argument.

The fact that a stack is LIFO is irrelevant because I've stated that it is a stack with FIFO instead of LIFO functionality, which is exactly what the definition of a queue is. You're saying I can't use a manipulated definition of a stack because it's LIFO even though I've specifically stated the difference was FIFO rather than LIFO in the second half of my definition, which is both ridiculous, and foolish.

edit: With the same logic you've been using against me. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't argue with someone making a statement such as "_____ is Taylor Swift but with more of a hip-hop feel" about the fact that they aren't Taylor Swift, even though it's obviously being used just an example for someone to use as a reference. Btw, that's a metaphor, and there's a difference between a metaphor and a direct comparison.