Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 508 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Rails Alternative to The Django admin panel / CRUD View Generator?

I am currently trying to decide between Rails and Django..

At the moment the I'm finding ruby much more elegant so my only reason for considering Django is the admin panel..

I have no experience of either but i have to develop an application fast to meet a deadline.

Is there a way in rails to generate a (close to production ready) set of views for all of your CRUD actions based on your model like the admin panel in django? (ie it would look at your model and see that you have a person that belongs to a group and generate a dropdown for that grouop on the create person view)?

If not which is the quickest way (without manually writing) to get a first draft of all the CRUD views?

Thanks,

Daniel

There's a really fast admin panel type thing that's now available -- **[The Brick](

[To see links please register here]

)**. This one auto-creates its own models / controllers / views when any existing ones are not found, and does this entirely on-the-fly in RAM.

Not as configurable as other panels, but it's lean and works with all manner of Rails associations -- of course the common belongs_to and has_many, but also polymorphics and single table inheritance.

[administrate_me][1] is a good choice, it definitely has the 'feel' of the Django admin.

[1]:

interesting tool

Answer in several parts:

1. for something similar to Django admin, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want to build your site around it, scaffolding is good. However, even if you chose Django, **don't build your site around admin**. It is not meant for this (it is possible, but after you'll have very little flexibility), it is just made for being an **admin** interface.

2. This being said, if you need to work fast, and have no knowledge in Python nor in Ruby, I would go for Python - Django. Rails can be awfully productive, but the learning curve is much steeper than Django's. And Ruby's syntax is very fancy, but Python's is neater in my opinion (I know some will disagree on this!)

I really enjoyed using

. Simple, ready to use, can spit out both erb and haml.

Here are some popular choices of admin interface gems for Rails.

- [typus](

) ([live demo](

))
- [admin_data](

) ([live demo](

))

More choices at [The Ruby Toolbox](

). ActiveScaffold is the most popular according to Ruby Toolbox, but it seems like it's not compatible with Rails 3.0.

You might want to take a look at the [RailsAdmin][1] gem.

[1]:

Rails has a [scaffold generator][1], which is neat to quickly sketch things out, but it has little by way of an Admin generator that's as nice as the one Django provides. That being said, it is quite easy to do most of those things fairly quickly with Rails. Take a look at the [Rails tutorial][2]. I have found it to be the fastest way to learn rails at the moment really. And the link I have included for the scaffold generator should get you using the code generation tool in rails.

[1]:

[2]: