Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 249 Vote(s) - 3.69 Average
Should I implement my own CMS?

I need to create a custom CMS based system. In it, I will need too do the following:

- Each individual will have their own user name and password, once logged in they are presented with their own personal page.
- Here, each user will have eight pictures displayed, which is selected by an admin
- The data is sensitive, so security is a big issue.
- It will have a newsfeed too, which will retrieve news from the admin portal

Now, I have never written a CMS system. I have time constraints too. Choice of language is PHP, what would be the best way to implement it?

Do you absolutely have to write your own? There are several great (and free) PHP CMS open source solutions available. Why aren't these suitable for your needs?

Have you considered skinning a word press blog?

What specifically about your problem makes the open source available solutions unsuitable for you?

Define "best".

If "best" means "up and running the fastest", I'd say your only choice is to buy one or find a good open source CMS. This is doubly true after reading your admission of "little experience".

I'd recommend that you Google for open source CMS and prototype the top three choices.

Writing your own should be your last option. Why delay release and take on that maintenance burden forever?

Check out [CMS Matrix][1] for a comparison of various CMS's out there.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

CMS systems, along with bug trackers, should probably be considered the canonical examples of why [Not Invented Here][1] syndrome can be a huge pitfall.

Both of them share the common property of seeming like incredibly simple systems to implement from the outset, with 3rd party options that seem overly complicated and overkill for the "simple" CMS you obviously need.

In nearly every case I've seen where a company tries to roll their own, the "simple" solution is slowly devoured by special requests and edge cases, until it's just as complex as those overkill solutions - but built upon a base that was never intended for complexity.

Just find a good third party solution. You from 3 years in the future will thank you for it.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Q: Should I reinvent my own wheel?

A: **No**.

Time constraints means you probably don't have time to do it right and would be better off grabbing a CMS from someone else. Just configure it to suit your needs.

Writing your own is when you need a very specific custom solution for a very picky customer. Otherwise, grabbing another CMS will save you thousands of programming man-hours.

"In nearly every case I've seen where a company tries to roll their own, the "simple" solution is slowly devoured by special requests and edge cases, until it's just as complex as those overkill solutions - but built upon a base that was never intended for complexity."

QFT

We used to maintain our own CMS which started out simple and great, and then the requests came in from clients and it was nearly impossible to keep the code uniform with different people implementing it in projects. Lack of code versioning was to blame but also clients would want every little thing changed until the package was unique to each site. It became impossible and costly to keep up.

We switched to Drupal and lifes been much easier.

Q: Should I reinvent my own wheel?

A: **Only for learning purposes.**

For my clients I almost always create my own CMS. Few reasons:

- They're faster, because I only implement the classes I need.
- They're are easier to code, because my classes are in the same way as the client's company. For example a class Musical got an array with Castmembers as value for the property 'cast'.
- You know everything about your CMS, so when there's a bug you know how to fix it.

Yeah, it takes some more time, but it gives you more opportunities and flexibility.