Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 767 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Swift version of componentsSeparatedByString

I know its noob question, i really search around before ask. But there is not exact answer of what i want to know.
How we split string into the array without using Objective C? For example:

var str = "Today is so hot"
var arr = str.componentsSeparatedByString(" ") // *

* I know it doesnt work but i am looking for like that. I want to split string with " " (or another char/string)

Idea:It might be very good for me, making extension of string class. But i dont know how i do that.

Edit: Forgetting import Foundation. If I import foundation it will work. But is there any way to do with extending String class?
Thank you

In Swift 2, the syntax for this has got more concise. The top-level `split` function is now a method on `CollectionType` (which `String.CharacterView` conforms to).

There are two versions of the method, the first takes a closure as a predicate to indicate whether a given element should be treated as a separator, and the other simply takes an element to specify as the separator - this is likely what you want for 99% of string splits. They both have a couple of defaulted parameters (see the docs for details) which helps keep the method call nice and clear.

It's worth noting that `split(_:)` returns a `SubSequence` (basically a `Slice`), so in most cases needs transforming back into an array of `String`s which is generally more useful.

let str = "Today is so hot"
let words = str.characters.split(" ").map { String($0) } // or `.map(String.init)`

---

###  Explaining the shorthand initializer expression (`map(String.init)`)

`map` is a method that accepts a function as an argument. Most of the time, you probably just use a trailing closure (an unnamed function) as the argument to `map`, e.g.:

func createString(from character: Character) -> String {
// ...
}

let strings = characters.map { createString(from: $0) }

But the following is more concise, and just as valid:

let strings = characters.map(createString(from:))
// or even:
let strings = characters.map(createString) // argument names inferred from context.

In the above example, `createString(from:)` and `createString` are both _function expressions_. `map` expects a function as an argument, and a function expression can be passed as that argument. You can pass a function expression anywhere that accepts a function as an argument, which is why you can use `sort` like this for a types that conform to `Comparable`:

let sortedStrings = strings.sorted(by: <)

// `<` is just a function expression for a function that is essentially declared something like this:
func <(lhs: String, rhs: String) -> Bool {
// ...
}

`String.init` is an _initializer expression_. It can be used in just the same way as a function expression – it is itself describing a function that takes a single `Character ` as an argument, and returns a value of type `String` (though `String.init` is overloaded and can be passed many different types of argument).

To help clarify what is going on, consider the following code, where each invocation of `map` does exactly the same thing, but using an increasingly concise syntax:

// - Closure expression syntax used.
// - Explicit argument names & types.
// - Long-hand string initialization.
let strings = characters.map({ (character: CharacterView) -> String in
return String.init(character)
})

// - Trailing closure syntax used (parentheses omitted).
// - Closure argument and return types inferred from context (type names omitted).
// - Short-hand (standard, really) string initialization.
let strings = characters.map { character in
return String(character)
}

// - Implicit return since using single expression in the closure (`return` keyword omitted).
let strings = characters.map { character in String(character) }

// - Shorthand argument names (`in` keyword and argument names omitted).
let strings = characters.map { String($0) }

// - Initializer expression syntax used (curly braces omitted, argument implicitly passed to the initializer).
let strings = characters.map(String.init(_:))

// - Initializer expression argument names inferred from context.
let strings = characters.map(String.init)

In Swift 3.0
Use `components(separatedBy:)` on String than `componentsSeparatedByString`.

Sharing code sample

let tempString = "1.Wash your hands\n2.Check you phone\n3.Click home button".components(separatedBy: "\n")
print(tempString)

If you want to split a string by a given *character* then you can use the
built-in `split()` method, without needing Foundation:

let arr = split(str, { $0 == " "}, maxSplit: Int.max, allowEmptySlices: false)
println(arr) // [Today, is, so, hot]

**Update for Swift 1.2:** The order of the parameters changed with Swift 1.2 (Xcode 6.3), compare

[To see links please register here]

:

let arr = split(str, maxSplit: Int.max, allowEmptySlices: false, isSeparator: { $0 == " "} )
println(arr) // [Today, is, so, hot]

**Update for Swift 2:** See [Stuart's answer](

[To see links please register here]

).

**Update for Swift 3:**

let arr = str.characters.split(separator: " ").map(String.init)
print(arr)

> "I know it doesnt work"

Well, for me, it does. In the Swift REPL:

1> import Foundation
2> "a b c".componentsSeparatedByString(" ")
$R6: String[] = size=3 {
[0] = {
core = {
_baseAddress = Builtin.RawPointer = 0x0000000100407980
_countAndFlags = -4611686018427387903
_owner = Some {
Some = @"a"
}
}
}
[1] = {
core = {
_baseAddress = Builtin.RawPointer = 0x0000000100408e50 -> 0x00007fff7cde0062 (void *)0x001b00007fff7cdd
_owner = Some {
Some = @"b"
}
}
}
[2] = {
core = {
_baseAddress = Builtin.RawPointer = 0x0000000100408dd0
_owner = Some {
Some = @"c"