Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 536 Vote(s) - 3.56 Average
Tips, Tricks and Suggestions for creating a Garry's Mod server

Hi DZ,

I made this thread to help you guys out when making a gmod server. Feel free to post below if you think I should add something's.

1. So your first step is pretty obvious, Finding a host. When it comes to server hosting I really recommend

[To see links please register here]

they offer the best hosting in my experience and even provide you with free anti DDoS firewalls!

2. Gathering money is one of the most important steps in creating your wet own server. Now I would recommend Saving up enough money to run your server for 2-3 months, this gets you enough time to have members who can and or will donate join your server/community.

3. Coding for your server is defenatly crucial because no one wants to join a server with lua errors. I would recommend that you purchase a 1-2 slot server, text your codes etc. then purchase more slots when you wish to release it to the public. A good command to put in your server.cfg is "sv_kickerrornum 0" this will disable kicking people for the reason "Too many lua errors, sorry." If you can't code lua I would hire a lua coder that is well known so you don't end up with crapy codes and lost money. When you find your coder or if your coding it on your own some cool things to code would be as follows:
• Automatic donation system
• Chat tag system
• Anti Cheat
• Custom Commands
• Inventory
• Custom HUD/Menus
• Button linking the player to forums when in game

4. Spreading the word out to your friends that you will soon release an awesome server is also important because your friends will potentially spread the word to their friends so on and so forth. No one likes to join a server with no one to play with.

5. Selling admin is something I discourage but if your desperate for money it will help you. If you choose to sell staff positions I STRONGLY suggest you do not sell super admin access.

6. Addons really depends which game mode your hosting. Although I prefer to have ulx as my admin mod as it offers many unique features like its own motd, etc.

If you would like to learn more about creating Garry's mod servers feel free to send me a PM.

Kind Regards,
Operate

Thanks for this man !

Very helpful thread, keep up the good work

Thanks for this! Really Helpful

I love this game, thanks for the tips bruv.

I'm thinking about opening a server honestly.

I agree with you 100% with not selling admin privileges. The server I am an admin on sells mod and it is so bad. People abuse, don't know what they are doing, etc. Only give admin to people who the community like and you like.

Quote:(07-23-2013, 06:04 PM)Operate Wrote:

Quote: (07-21-2013, 01:21 PM)Maelstrom. Wrote:

I agree with you 100% with not selling admin privileges. The server I am an admin on sells mod and it is so bad. People abuse, don't know what they are doing, etc. Only give admin to people who the community like and you like.

Yeah, I used to do it and donator admins usually are demoted within an hour of their purchase.

I was on a donate for mod/admin server and I got mod for actually doing shit...not paying :3

Quote:(07-21-2013, 01:21 PM)Maelstrom. Wrote:

Yeah, I used to do it and donator admins usually are demoted within an hour of their purchase.