Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 593 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Upgrading IIS/Classic ASP Javascript/JScript Scripting Engines (to Chakra?)

Microsoft are quoted as saying that javascript is now a first class citizen in Visual Studio and the "Universal Windows platform" but I have yet to find a way of upgrading the decade+ old JScript engine used in IIS/Classic ASP script. So, my question is, does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Why?

I'd like to use JSON.parse, for example, in a classic ASP page (that uses javascript not VBScript). Currently, I'm including a copy of Crockford's old json script which is okay but these days should be unnecessary.

Why? Well, as you probably know, hosts with Chakra available don't have it enabled by default. According to [MSDN documentation](

[To see links please register here]

):

> Starting with JScript 5.8, by default, the JScript scripting engine supports the language feature set as it existed in version 5.7. This is to maintain compatibility with the earlier versions of the engine. To use the complete language feature set of version 5.8, the Windows Script interface host has to invoke [IActiveScriptProperty::SetProperty](

).

From what I've been able to understand, this means you'd have to code your own custom script execution host to evaluate your existing code with Chakra. `-_-`

As thoroughly enthralling as such a kludge sounds, it's much easier to clone whatever object and methods you need from elsewhere. The `htmlfile` COM object can expose objects and methods not available to the current script host, simply by forcing it into a compatibility mode.

// classic WSH JScript version
var htmlfile = new ActiveXObject('htmlfile'), JSON;
htmlfile.write('<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9" />');
htmlfile.close(JSON = htmlfile.parentWindow.JSON);

And voila! Now you can `JSON.parse()` or `JSON.stringify()` till your heart's content, without having to include json2.js, and without having to go through the enormous effort of invoking `IActiveScript::SetProperty`.

A quick note about that code snippet above: `htmlfile.write('<meta... etc />')` works in Classic JScript, but .NET hosts struggle with the `write()` and `writeln()` methods for some reason. `IHTMLDocument2_write()` and `IHTMLDocument2_writeln()` should be used instead if you ever switch to .aspx and JScript.NET.

// JScript.NET version
var htmlfile:Object = new ActiveXObject('htmlfile'), JSON:Object = {};
htmlfile.IHTMLDocument2_write('<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9" />');
htmlfile.close(JSON = htmlfile.parentWindow.JSON);

I'd also like to point out that other more modern ECMAscript methods can be imported in a similar way. Here's a demo of a few other methods that [aren't natively available in JScript 5.7](

) but can be cloned from `htmlfile` in IE9 standards mode. Save this with an .asp extension visit it in your web browser:

<%@ Language="JScript" %>
<h3>Output:</h3>
<textarea style="width: 100%; height: 5em"><%
var htmlfile = Server.CreateObject('htmlfile');
htmlfile.write('<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9" />');

// expose more modern methods from htmlfile
var JSON = htmlfile.parentWindow.JSON;
String.prototype.trim = htmlfile.parentWindow.String.prototype.trim;
Array.prototype.indexOf = htmlfile.parentWindow.Array.prototype.indexOf;
Array.prototype.forEach = htmlfile.parentWindow.Array.prototype.forEach;
Object.keys = htmlfile.parentWindow.Object.keys;

htmlfile.close(); // no longer needed

// demonstrate JSON.parse() and String.trim()
var strJSON = '{ "item1": " val1 needs trimmed. " }';
var objFromJSON = JSON.parse(strJSON);
Response.Write('JSON and String.trim() demo result: ' + objFromJSON.item1.trim() + '\n');

// demonstrate Array.indexOf()
var arr = [2, 4, 6, 8, 10];
Response.Write('Array.indexOf(val) demo result: ' + arr.indexOf(4) + '\n');

// demonstrate Object.keys() and Array.forEach()
var demo = { "foo": "bar", "baz ": "qux" };
demo.getKey = function(val) {
var obj = this, result;
Object.keys(obj).forEach(function(i) {
if (obj[i] === val) result = i;
});
return result;
}
Response.Write('Object.keys(obj).forEach(fn) demo result: ' + demo.getKey('qux'));
%></textarea>

Output:

<!-- language: none -->

JSON and String.trim() demo result: val1 needs trimmed.
Array.indexOf(val) demo result: 1
Object.keys(obj).forEach(fn) demo result: baz

Setting "Load User Profile" to false didn't work for me, it breaks the whole application pool (probably because it's using ApplicationPoolIdentity).

What worked for me though, is creating the htmlfile object in global.asa like this:

<!-- language: lang-xml -->
````
<object runat="server" scope="application" id="JScriptHelper" progid="htmlfile"></object>
<script language="VBScript" runat="server">
Sub Application_OnStart
JScriptHelper.write "<meta http-equiv=""x-ua-compatible"" content=""IE=9"" />"
End Sub
</script>
````

(I'm not sure if it's my configuration, but some functions are very slow. For example, finding the location of a unique value in an array with 60000 elements by using lastIndexOf takes 5 seconds, whereas a polyfill does it in less than 100ms.)