Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 596 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
[VB.Net] Making a cool File/Directory Search

If the GUI stops responding use a separate thread to make the search.

Quote:(03-24-2013, 09:01 AM)Deque Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Yeah. This example doesn't mention the use of a new thread, but that's what I did back in the day.
But the constant update of the resource-hungry ListView control is not the best practice.

Quote:(03-24-2013, 09:01 AM)Deque Wrote:

Yeah. This example doesn't mention the use of a new thread, but that's what I did back in the day.
But the constant update of the resource-hungry ListView control is not the best practice.

You should use the BeginUpdate() and EndUpdate() methods. It would help here...

Quote:(03-24-2013, 02:36 PM)ArkPhaze Wrote:

Simply using them would test the patience of the user. Then the ListView will only update when search has finished.
We'll have to set it to update after every 100 or so results.

But those are extra perks which I've left for the programmer to figure out. This thread basically shows how to do a file search and grab icons of the files to show them as if in Explorer.

Quote:(03-24-2013, 02:36 PM)ArkPhaze Wrote:

Simply using them would test the patience of the user. Then the ListView will only update when search has finished.

But those are extra perks which I've left for the programmer to figure out. This thread basically shows how to do a file search and grab icons of the files to show them as if in Explorer.

Quote:(03-24-2013, 05:52 PM)Coder-san Wrote:

Quote: (03-24-2013, 02:36 PM)ArkPhaze Wrote:

That is my point though. You don't want to be having to reInvalidate() the control each time. You're using the results of the search to loop through, and add items individually from what I see:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Thus every iteration the control has to be redrawn to show the new Item. Seems like an old piece of code that got bumped though so I won't be trying to go over the code in too much more detail.

Quote:(03-24-2013, 05:52 PM)Coder-san Wrote:

Quote: (03-24-2013, 02:36 PM)ArkPhaze Wrote:

That is my point though. You don't want to be having to reInvalidate() the control each time. You're using the results of the search to loop through, and add items individually from what I see:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Thus every iteration the control has to be redrawn to show the new Item. Seems like an old piece of code that got bumped though so I won't be trying to go over the code in too much more detail.