Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 564 Vote(s) - 3.44 Average
What's the best way to communicate the purpose of a string parameter in a public API?

According to the guidance published in [New Recommendations for Using Strings in Microsoft .NET 2.0][1], the data in a string may exhibit one of the following types of behavior:

1. A non-linguistic identifier, where bytes match exactly.
1. A non-linguistic identifier, where case is irrelevant, especially a piece of data stored in most Microsoft Windows system services.
1. Culturally-agnostic data, which still is linguistically relevant.
1. Data that requires local linguistic customs.

Given that, I'd like to know the best way to communicate which behavior is expected of a string parameter in a public API. I wasn't able to find an answer in the [Framework Design Guidelines][2].

Consider the following methods:

f(string this_is_a_linguistic_string)
g(string this_is_a_symbolic_identifier_so_use_ordinal_compares)

Is variable naming and XML documentation the best I can do? Could I use attributes in some way to mark the requirements of the string?

Now consider the following case:

h(Dictionary<string, object> dictionary)

Note that the dictionary instance is created by the caller. How do I communicate that the callee expects the IEqualityComparer<string> object held by the dictionary to perform, for example, a case-insensitive ordinal comparison?

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

Use the documentation syntax:

/// <param name="dictionary">
/// ... string is case sensitive ordinal ...
/// </param>

You could always use a modified Hungarian convention (and I mean the [Joel-approved kind][1]):

* Prefix `cs` for *case-sensitive* (non-linguistic)
* Prefix `ci` for *case-insensitive* (non-linguistic)
* Prefix `cil` for *culture-invariant linguistic*
* Prefix `csl` for *culture-specific linguistic* or *culture-sensitive linguistic*

The "i" and "s" have consistent implications here, even though they can mean two different things depending on the context, which is a helpful attribute. "i" means "don't care" (about case/culture) and "s" means "do care".

Of course, as a disclaimer, I never do this, because for the vast majority of strings I deal with, the distinction between these types of strings is blurry at best. But if they have semantic meaning to you, this would be a reasonable alternative to relying on XML docs. Especially when you're using them as arguments to private methods, which most people don't write XML docs for.

[1]: