Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 954 Vote(s) - 3.55 Average
What Scala web-frameworks are available?

I've just started learning Scala, and the first thing I'm going to implement is a tiny web application. I've been using [Erlang][1] for the last year to implement server-side software, but I've never wrote web applications before. It will be a great experience.

Are there web-frameworks for Scala except for [Lift][2]?

Don't get me wrong, Lift looks awesome. I just want to know how many frameworks there are so that I can then choose between them. It's always a good to have a choice, but I the only thing I found was Lift.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

There's also Pinky, which used to be on bitbucket but got transfered to [github][1].

By the way, github is a great place to search for Scala projects, as there's a lot being put there.

[1]:

There's a new web framework, called [Scala Web Pages][1]. From the site:

Target Audience
---------------
The Scala Pages web framework is likely to appeal to web programmers who come from a Java background and want to program web applications in Scala. The emphasis is on OOP rather than functional programming.

Characteristics And Features
----------------------------
* Adheres to model-view-controller paradigm
* Text-based template engine
* Simple syntax: `$variable` and `<?scp-instruction?>`
* Encoding/content detection, able to handle international text encodings
* Snippets instead of custom tags
* URL Rewriting

[1]:

I like Lift ;-)

Play is my second choice for Scala-friendly web frameworks.

Wicket is my third choice.

One very interesting web framework with commercial deployment is [Scalatra][1], inspired by Ruby's Sinatra. Here's an [InfoQ article][2] about it.

[1]:

[2]:

Both Sweet and Slinky seem to be unmaintanted for about a year. Sweet Maven repo sweetsoftwaredesign.com is dead so there's even no way to download dependencies.

You could also try [Context][1]. It was designed to be a Java-framework but I have successfully used it with Scala also without difficulties. It is a component based framework and has similar properties as Lift or Tapestry.

[1]:

I have stumbled upon your question a few weeks back, but since then also learned about [Circumflex][1]. This is a nice, minimal framework that is therefore easy to learn, and it has pretty good documentation available as well.

Beside it's minimal-ness, it also claims to work well with other libraries and lets you use your own implementation of things when you need it.

[1]:

I'd like to add my own efforts to this list. You can find out more information here:

[brzy framework][1]

It's in early development and I'm still working on it aggressively. It includes features like:

- A focus on simplicity and extensibility.
- Integrated build tool.
- Modular design; some initial modules includes support for scalate, email, jms, jpa, squeryl, cassandra, cron services and more.
- Simple RESTful controllers and actions.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

UPDATE: 2011-09-078, I just posted a major update to version 0.9.1. There's more info at

which includes a screencast.

[1]:

[2]:

Prikrutil, I think we're on the same boat. I also come to Scala from Erlang. I like [Nitrogen][1] a lot so I decided to created a Scala web framework inspired by it.

Take a look at [Xitrum][2]. [Its doc][3] is quite extensive. From README:

Xitrum is an async and clustered Scala web framework and web server on top of Netty and Hazelcast:

* It fills the gap between Scalatra and Lift: more powerful than Scalatra and easier to use than Lift. You can easily create both RESTful APIs and postbacks. Xitrum is controller-first like Scalatra, not view-first like Lift.
* Annotation is used for URL routes, in the spirit of JAX-RS. You don't have to declare all routes in a single place.
* Typesafe, in the spirit of Scala.
* Async, in the spirit of Netty.
* Sessions can be stored in cookies or clustered Hazelcast.
* jQuery Validation is integrated for browser side and server side validation.
i18n using GNU gettext, which means unlike most other solutions, both singular and plural forms are supported.
* Conditional GET using ETag.

Hazelcast also gives:

* In-process and clustered cache, you don't need separate cache servers.
* In-process and clustered Comet, you can scale Comet to multiple web servers.

Follow the [tutorial][4] for a quick start.

[1]:

[2]:

[3]:

[4]: