Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 456 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
What is the difference between __dirname and ./ in node.js?

When programming in Node.js and referencing files that are located somewhere in relation to your current directory, is there any reason to use the `__dirname` variable instead of just a regular `./`? I've been using ./ thus far in my code and just discovered the existence of `__dirname`, and essentially want to know whether it would be smart to convert my ./'s to that, and if so, why that would be a smart idea.

`./` refers to the current working directory, except in the `require()` function. When using `require()`, it translates `./` to the directory of the current file called. `__dirname` is always the directory of the current file.

For example, with the following file structure

`/home/user/dir/files/config.json`

{
"hello": "world"
}

`/home/user/dir/files/somefile.txt`

text file

`/home/user/dir/dir.js`

var fs = require('fs');

console.log(require('./files/config.json'));
console.log(fs.readFileSync('./files/somefile.txt', 'utf8'));

If I `cd` into `/home/user/dir` and run `node dir.js` I will get

{ hello: 'world' }
text file

But when I run the same script from `/home/user/` I get

{ hello: 'world' }

Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory './files/somefile.txt'
at Object.openSync (fs.js:228:18)
at Object.readFileSync (fs.js:119:15)
at Object.<anonymous> (/home/user/dir/dir.js:4:16)
at Module._compile (module.js:432:26)
at Object..js (module.js:450:10)
at Module.load (module.js:351:31)
at Function._load (module.js:310:12)
at Array.0 (module.js:470:10)
at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:192:40)

Using `./` worked with `require` but not for `fs.readFileSync`. That's because for `fs.readFileSync`, `./` translates into the cwd (in this case `/home/user/`). And `/home/user/files/somefile.txt` does not exist.

# The gist

In Node.js, `__dirname` is always the directory in which the currently executing script resides ([see this][1]). So if you typed `__dirname` into `/d1/d2/myscript.js`, the value would be `/d1/d2`.

By contrast, `.` gives you the directory from which you ran the `node` command in your terminal window (i.e. your working directory) when you use libraries like `path` and `fs`. Technically, it starts out as your working directory but can be changed using `process.chdir()`.

The exception is when you use `.` with `require()`. The path inside `require` is always relative to the file containing the call to `require`.

# For example...

Let's say your directory structure is

/dir1
/dir2
pathtest.js

and `pathtest.js` contains

var path = require("path");
console.log(". = %s", path.resolve("."));
console.log("__dirname = %s", path.resolve(__dirname));

and you do

cd /dir1/dir2
node pathtest.js

you get

. = /dir1/dir2
__dirname = /dir1/dir2

Your working directory is `/dir1/dir2` so that's what `.` resolves to. Since `pathtest.js` is located in `/dir1/dir2` that's what `__dirname` resolves to as well.

However, if you run the script from `/dir1`

cd /dir1
node dir2/pathtest.js

you get

. = /dir1
__dirname = /dir1/dir2

In that case, your working directory was `/dir1` so that's what `.` resolved to, but `__dirname` still resolves to `/dir1/dir2`.

### Using `.` inside `require`...
If inside `dir2/pathtest.js` you have a `require` call into include a file inside `dir1` you would **always** do

require('../thefile')

because the path inside `require` is always relative to the file in which you are calling it. It has nothing to do with your working directory.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]