Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 474 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
Why Bitcoin won't win, and why it's already dead

Bitcoin was supposed to be the currency of the future, but now I'm here saying that won't happen.
Cryptocurrency is a neat idea, and I would love to see it done right. But Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency done wrong.

The mining process is ridiculous. Just a single Bitcoin transaction uses enough energy to power an entire residential block for 24 hours. Overall, the miners use enough energy to power a city, or more than 159 countries. Interestingly, the same people who are really for Bitcoin, are often for environmental protection laws and such. However, Bitcoin's carbon footprint is 18,113 kt of CO2 per year. As of now, Bitcoin is using about 37 Twh of energy. Guess where most of that energy comes from? The answer isn't 'green', it's fossil fuels. The reason for this is the energy consumed by the repeated hashing in order to brute force the correct nonce.

The next issue is it's volatility, and the way cryptocurrencies are used. Right now, cryptocurrencies are being traded like stocks, and aren't stable enough to be used well as a currency. The price is ridiculous, and it doesn't act like a currency. Steam, the popular gaming platform, used to have Bitcoin as one of the methods of payment; but now, Bitcoin has been removed because of it's volatility and high fees... This brings us to our next issue, fees and transaction time.

You know that there's an issue when it costs more to send money than the amount that you'd want to send. With fees over $20 per transaction, Bitcoin is better used to transfer very large sums of money than for use as a normal currency. Because of the increase in transaction volume, Bitcoin has gotten 'clogged' by all the transactions, causing each transaction to take ridiculous amounts of time. In a currency, transactions should be seen as instant -- in Bitcoin, they're seen as extremely slow. A way to improve this, is to increase the block size; this is what Bitcoin Cash and Segwit2x tried to do.

This is why Bitcoin must be replaced, or all cryptocurrenies will die. A candidate that I like is Monero, but it has some of the same issues. I've thought of solutions, but one that is really hard to fix is the trading. The closest idea that I've had is to adjust the definition of one coin based on the average transaction size. However, this doesn't solve everything, it just helps something else in a weird way.

Sources:

Hidden Content
You must

[To see links please register here]

or

to view this content.

im interested to see if a killer app turns up for etherium, and if mobilecoin pans out. If marlinspike can do for crypto what he did for e2e it will be interesting

@Ender I've wondered some of things myself. I've stayed out because I always assumed the U.S. Gov would make it's own centralized crypto to force out bitcoin like the U.K. is doing.

Although they are doing it for different reasons. I loved your post. I don't think that the hashing algorithms are strong enough for worldwide adoption. There needs to be fixing for sure. Thoughts?

Cryptocurrencies is really new as you know.
There is still time to fix the mistakes bitcoin has made. The fees aren't high.... you just have to use the segwit chain, cheap fees and fast transactions.

I believe bitcoin is still very alive, but it's not the cryptocurrency that's going to be made for transactions but as a store of value, like gold.

There's other currencies like MIOTA that has a big group potential as a market coin to send transactions cause of the 0$ fees.

Very Interesting read.

Speaking of which, you may also find this of Interest:

@"FunkyG" @"mothered" Thanks for the info about Segwit

Quote:(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)mothered Wrote:

Very Interesting read.

That's essentially why Bcash can't replace Bitcoin... It's because too many people hate it.

Quote:(01-06-2018, 02:46 AM)Ender Wrote:

That's essentially why Bcash can't replace Bitcoin... It's because too many people hate it.

Personally, from what I've read and heard, I can't see any significant advancement with Bcash.

Of course, time will tell.

Quote:(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)mothered Wrote:

Very Interesting read.

I love that! I saw it before and it made me so happy!
Thanks for the post anyway

Quote:(01-06-2018, 02:46 AM)Ender Wrote:

Quote: (01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)mothered Wrote:

Very Interesting read.

Please dont call it Bcash :xd:
Its called BCH or Bitcoin Cash.
But yeah, too many people hate it and the technology isn't good enough