Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 420 Vote(s) - 3.54 Average
Why are database features being ignored, and instead reinvented in the middle tier?

First off: any developer using an ORM is naive if S/he thinks using an ORM negates having to have SQL skills. Most ORMs that generate SQL vary the SQL emitted depending on how the object queries are constructed. The developer will need to analyze the SQL to see if they should change any of the object queries.

Short answer: A lot of those features aren't practical for OO development. I know that DBAs don't like to hear that but, it's the truth. Those features are good for edge cases and most good ORMs such as N/Hibernate allow you to provide SQL for those edge cases.

When it comes to being mostly delegated to CRUD:

Long answer: I think the RDBMS world is going through maturity growing pains, and is finding it's place in the world. Truth: OOP is older than RDBMS. OOP is just getting out of it's growing pains and maturing. I think SQL as a language is very mature, but the idea of what a RDBMS should handle is just getting settled. The RDBMS was the business logic holder for most web apps until Java and C# came around. I think we are just starting to feel this correction now.

That being said, I don't think any ORM designer is going to tell you that the quality of the sql statements fed to the RDBMS don't matter.

When it comes to non-CRUD
I don't have an answer here. Most shops I know of still use the DB for ETL/etc...