Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 523 Vote(s) - 3.44 Average
Why does `puts(nil or 4)` fail in Ruby?

When I do:

puts(nil or 4)

Ruby complains:

<!-- language: lang-none -->

SyntaxError: syntax error, unexpected keyword_or, expecting ')'

Why is that? `puts(nil || 4)` does work, but I wonder why `or` doesn't. I thought the difference between the two was only in their operator precedence.

(I know the expression `nil or 4` doesn't seem useful, as it always returns `4`. It's just an example, for simplicity's sake. My actual expression is `Integer(ENV['WD'] or 4)`.)

@Sergio Tulentsev (and @sawa) gave a good answer, but I want to rephrase it so I can understand it quickly in the future:

Ruby lets us drop parenthesis in function calls. That is, instead of:

func1(ARG, ARG, ARG) or func2(ARG, ARG, ARG)

We can do:

func1 ARG, ARG, ARG or func2 ARG, ARG, ARG

However, in order to make this last line behave like the first one, "or" can't be an operator used in the top-level of an ARG (otherwise that last line will be interpreted as `func1(ARG, ARG, ARG or func2 ARG, ARG, ARG)`). Indeed, when we look in the [BNF](

[To see links please register here]

) we see that ARG doesn't directly mention "or"/"and" (which means it's illegal there).

But ARG still makes it possible to use "or": by wrapping the expression in parentheses. In the [BNF](

) we see this as the PRIMARY alternative that ARG can branch to (as PRIMARY, in its turn, branches to `'(' COMPSTMT ')'`).

### Now, as to why `func (1 or 2)` and `func((1 or 2))` work whereas `func(1 or 2)` doesn't:

* `func(1 or 2)` is what the BNF calls FUNCTION, which expands to `OPERATION ['(' [CALL_ARGS] ')']`, which means the ARG is "1 or 2", but, as we've seen, ARG can't contain "or", so it's *invalid*.

* `func((1 or 2))` is, again, `OPERATION ['(' [CALL_ARGS] ')']`, but here the the ARG is "(1 or 2)", which is a *valid* ARG (see PRIMARY mentioned above).

* `func (1 or 2)` is what the BNF calls COMMAND, which expands to `OPERATION CALL_ARGS`, which means the ARG is "(1 or 2)", which is a *valid* ARG (see PRIMARY mentioned above).

### Short answer

Because that's how ruby syntax is.

### Longer answer

`and`/`or` keywords were designed to be used in control flow constructs. Consider this example:

def die(msg)
puts "Exited with: #{msg}"
end

def do_something_with(arg)
puts arg
end

do_something_with 'foo' or die 'unknown error'
# >> foo
# >> Exited with: unknown error

Here `or` works nicely with ruby's optional parentheses, because of ruby [parsing rules (pseudo-BNF)](

).

In short, an argument list (CALL_ARGS) is a list of ARG, separated by comma. Now, most anything is an ARG (class definitions, for example, through being a PRIMARY), but not an unadorned EXPR. If you surround an expression with parentheses, then it'll match a rule for "compound statement" and, therefore, will be a PRIMARY, which is an ARG. What this means is that

puts( (nil or 4) ) # will work, compound statement as first argument
puts (nil or 4) # same as above, omitted optional method call parentheses
puts(nil or 4) # will not work, EXPR can't be an argument
puts nil or 4 # will work as `puts(nil) or 4`

You can read the grammar referenced above to understand _exactly_ how it works.

### BONUS: Example of class definition being a valid ARG

puts class Foo
def bar
puts "hello"
end
end, 'second argument'

# >> bar # this is the "value" of the class definition
# >> second argument

It is because `or` and `and` have lower precedence than method call. Your expression is interpreted as:

{puts(nil} or {4)}

where `{}` stands for grouping. The syntax error comes from the expression

puts(nil

(and the following will also raise a syntax error):

4)

If you force grouping by putting a pair of parentheses around the expression, then it will work the way you intended:

puts((nil or 4))

Notice that the outer pair of parentheses is used for method call, not grouping, hence just having one pair of parentheses has no effect of changing the grouping.

Alternatively, if you disambiguate a single pair of parentheses to be used for grouping by putting a space, then that will work too:

puts (nil or 4)