Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 283 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Wordpress search failed on special characters due to improper decode

I am implementing the Wordpress search functionality.
When I search for text "**Division's**" (which is a text in one of the posts),
It returns "No results found"

Now to investigate further, I checked the core file:
**wp-includes/query.php => function parse_search()**

And found that the $term is received encoded as : **Division\xe2\x80\x99s**

Now this term is not decoded properly. And the final SQL statement formed is : <br>
(((test_posts.post_title LIKE '%Division\xe2\x80\x99s%') OR (test_posts.post_content LIKE '%Division\xe2\x80\x99s%')))

So, I want to decode the special characters to succesfully search terms with special characters too.

Decoding methods like :

* $string = urldecode($string);
* $string = html_entity_decode($string);
* $string = rawurldecode ($string);
* $string = base64_decode($string);
* $string = utf8_decode($string);

Did not work.
Is there any plugin/hook/method that can help?

***Example Provided:***

Simple `searchform.php` file here:

if (!defined('ABSPATH')) exit(0);

global $wp_query;

$search_query = get_search_query();
$error = get_query_var('error'); ?>

<form role="search" method="get" class="search-form form-inline" action="<?php echo esc_url(home_url('/')); ?>">
<input id="mod-search-searchword" type="search" size="30" class="inputbox search-query search-field" placeholder="search products, content" value="<?php echo !empty($search_query) && empty($error) ? $search_query : ''; ?>" name="s" title="Search for:" />
<input type="submit" class="button btn btn-primary" value="Search" />
</form>

Now if I type in characters like `()` they get urlencoded, and that same urlencoded string not populates into the text field with the percentages, etc.

If I do this:

$search_query = !empty($search_query) ? trim(sanitize_text_field(urldecode($search_query))) : '';

There is still a problem, but no longer a problem with the text input not having correct string, the problem becomes that there are no search results now.

How to fix this issue with Wordpress Search?

wp-config.php contains the following:

define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
define('DB_COLLATE', '');

header.php contains the following:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=3.0, user-scalable=yes"/>
<meta name="HandheldFriendly" content="true" />
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="YES" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" />
<title><?php wp_title(' - ', true, 'right'); ?></title>
<?php wp_head(); ?>
</head>

I have the following in my functions.php file:

function livchem_searchfilter($query) {

global $search_query;

if ($query->is_search && !is_admin()) {

// check if length of query > 3 but < 200
$search_query = trim(get_search_query());
$search_length = strlen($search_query);

if ($search_length < 3 || $search_length > 200)
{
$query->set('error', 'Search term must be a minimum of 3 characters and a maximum of 200 characters.');
return $query;
}
else
{
$query->set('post_type', array('post', 'page', 'product'));
$query->set('posts_per_page', 20);
}
}

return $query;
}

add_filter('pre_get_posts','livchem_searchfilter');

So, I do have UTF-8 encoding as my charset afaik. What is the problem, why is my search for: `copper(i)/(ii)` returning `?s=copper%2528i%2529%252F%2528ii%2529` in the URL? And I should have 2 results found for this, but I get 0 results found. Why?

And if I change the url to this: `?s=copper(i)/(ii)` I see my 2 results. But why can't I get my results, and/or the url to be like this? I could honestly care less on what the url structure is, but I do want my 2 results to be found when I type in: `copper(i)/(ii)` into the search form, but currently it is not finding any results.