Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 202 Vote(s) - 3.31 Average
insert a NOT NULL column to an existing table

I have tried:

ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE
ADD STAGE INT NOT NULL;

But it gives this error message:

> ALTER TABLE only allows columns to be added that can contain nulls or
> have a DEFAULT definition specified

The error message is quite descriptive, try:

ALTER TABLE MyTable ADD Stage INT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-';

ALTER TABLE `MY_TABLE` ADD COLUMN `STAGE` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL AFTER `PREV_COLUMN`;

[Other SQL implementations have similar restrictions.][1] The reason is that adding a column requires adding values for that column (logically, even if not physically), which default to `NULL`. If you don't allow `NULL`, and don't have a `default`, what is the value going to be?

Since SQL Server supports `ADD CONSTRAINT`, I'd recommend Pavel's approach of creating a nullable column, and then adding a `NOT NULL` constraint after you've filled it with non-`NULL` values.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

This worked for me, can also be "borrowed" from the design view, make changes -> right click -> generate change script.

BEGIN TRANSACTION
GO
ALTER TABLE dbo.YOURTABLE ADD
YOURCOLUMN bit NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DF_YOURTABLE_YOURCOLUMN DEFAULT 0
GO
COMMIT

As an option you can initially create Null-able column, then update your table column with valid not null values and finally ALTER column to set NOT NULL constraint:

ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE ADD STAGE INT NULL
GO
UPDATE MY_TABLE SET <a valid not null values for your column>
GO
ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE ALTER COLUMN STAGE INT NOT NULL
GO

Another option is to specify correct default value for your column:

ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE ADD STAGE INT NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'

---
UPD: Please note that answer above contains `GO` which is a must when you run this code on Microsoft SQL server. If you want to perform the same operation on Oracle or MySQL you need to use semicolon `;` like that:

ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE ADD STAGE INT NULL;
UPDATE MY_TABLE SET <a valid not null values for your column>;
ALTER TABLE MY_TABLE ALTER COLUMN STAGE INT NOT NULL;

If you aren't allowing the column to be Null you need to provide a default to populate existing rows. e.g.

ALTER TABLE dbo.YourTbl ADD
newcol int NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DF_YourTbl_newcol DEFAULT 0

On Enterprise Edition this is a [metadata only change][1] since 2012

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Alter TABLE 'TARGET' add 'ShouldAddColumn' Integer Not Null default "0"

**A faster solution**

If you, like me, need to do this on a table with a large amount of data, the ADD-UPDATE-ALTER option is very slow (it can take hours for millions of rows).

If you also don't want a default value on your table, here's the full code for creating a column and dropping the default constraint (pretty much instant even for large tables):

```sql
ALTER TABLE my_table ADD column_name INT NOT NULL CONSTRAINT my_table_default_constraint DEFAULT 0
GO

ALTER TABLE my_table DROP CONSTRAINT my_table_default_constraint
GO
```

This is for SQL Server