Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 402 Vote(s) - 3.53 Average
passing path to SqlCmd within powershell script

I'm trying to write a powershell script which will execute sqlcmd.exe to run a sql script. The script contains a SQLCMD variable which I want to pass in on the command line via sqlcmd's -v switch. The problem is that powershell is doing something weird when I pass a path as the value of one of my variables which in turn causes the SQL script to fail.

For example I'm calling:

$path = 'C:\path'
sqlcmd -SMySQLServerInstance -i 'MySqlScript.sql' -v MyVariablePath=$path

when run I receive a error which says:

Sqlcmd: ':\path': Invalid argument.

No amount of double or single quotes that I have tried around `$path` or `MyVariablePath=$path`
solves the issue.

Can somebody provide a simple canonical example of how this needs to be done?

You will find several options to this issue on the Workarounds tab on [this issue filed on the Microsoft connect site][1]. While you're there please vote it up.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

finally worked it out. for the next sucker to try this here is the solution

powershell script looks like

$myPath = "`"C:\Path`""
sqlcmd.exe -SmySQLInstance -i./test.sql -v myvar=$myPath

my test.sql file can then use the variable like this

PRINT "$(myvar)"

the key here is understanding how powershell does escape characters. More info on that [here][1]

[1]:

Had the same issue, found the solution accidentally, still don't understand why it works :) (i'm not a powershell pro though):

sqlcmd -d ... -s ... -v Var1Name=("""$PowershellVar1""") Var2Name=("""$PowershellVar2""")

Variables `$PowershellVar1` and `$PowershellVar2` have string type in my PS script and can contain quotes, spaces etc

I was recently playing around with this problem. In my case, I had variables with dots and spaces inside them. I will list all combinations I tried to make it run.

### Test SQL file test.sql ###

declare @testvar varchar(30);
set @testvar = '$(testvar)';
print @testvar;

### Set of my testing variables: ###

$varA = 'Abc1.3,Abc4.3' # contains only dots
$varB = 'A bc1.3,Ab c4.3' # contains dots and spaces
$varC = 'xx x.yy,y,.1.2.,3 , y' # contains dots and multiple spaces

### Testing of **sqlcmd** command ###

sqlcmd -v testvar=`"$var`" -i test.sql
sqlcmd -v testvar=($var) -i test.sql
sqlcmd -v testvar=("""$var""") -i test.sql # Solution by Andrei Shakh

## a) Test #1 ##
First I found out that my powershell script is returning error on variable that contain spaces

sqlcmd -v testvar=`"$varA`" -i test.sql
Abc1.3,Abc4.3

sqlcmd -v testvar=`"$varB`" -i test.sql
sqlcmd : Sqlcmd: 'testvar="A bc1.3,Ab c4.3""': Invalid argument. Enter '-?' for help. At line:2 char:1
## b) Test #2 ##
Finally found solution to replace variable by parenthesis instead of double-quotes, BUT!

sqlcmd -v testvar=($varA) -i test.sql
sqlcmd : Sqlcmd: ',Abc4.3': Invalid argument. Enter '-?' for help. At line:1 char:1

sqlcmd -v testvar=($varB) -i test.sql
A bc1.3,Ab c4.3

Interestingly enough, I've found out that this solution isn't working with with dots in my variables.

## c) Test #3 ##
I made a script to match space in variable and in that case use parenthesis, which works both ways.

If ($var -match " ") # or ($var -like "* *")
{
sqlcmd -v testvar=($var) -i test.sql
}
Else
{
sqlcmd -v testvar=`"$var`" -i test.sql
}

# d) Final Solution #

So far best solution I've found was answer by [Andrei Shakh](

) here, which works with everything without using IF/ELSE statemens to check whether there is space in a string or not.

sqlcmd -v testvar=("""$varA""") -i test.sql
Abc1.3,Abc4.3

sqlcmd -v testvar=("""$varB""") -i test.sql
A bc1.3,Ab c4.3

sqlcmd -v testvar=("""$varC""") -i test.sql
xx x.yy,y,.1.2.,3 , y