Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 549 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
"Cannot drop database because it is currently in use". How to fix?

Having this simple code I get "Cannot drop database "test_db" because it is currently in use" (CleanUp method) as I run it.

[TestFixture]
public class ClientRepositoryTest
{
private const string CONNECTION_STRING = "Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=test_db;Trusted_Connection=True";
private DataContext _dataCntx;

[SetUp]
public void Init()
{
Database.SetInitializer(new DropCreateDatabaseAlways<DataContext>());
_dataCntx = new DataContext(CONNECTION_STRING);
_dataCntx.Database.Initialize(true);
}

[TearDown]
public void CleanUp()
{
_dataCntx.Dispose();
Database.Delete(CONNECTION_STRING);
}
}

DataContext has one property like this

public DbSet<Client> Clients { get; set; }

How can force my code to remove database?
Thanks

The problem is that your application probably still holds some connection to the database (or another application holds connection as well). Database cannot be deleted where there is any other opened connection. The first problem can be probably solved by turning connection pooling off (add `Pooling=false` to your connection string) or clear the pool before you delete the database (by calling `SqlConnection.ClearAllPools()`).

Both problems can be solved by forcing database to delete but for that you need custom database initializer where you switch the database to single user mode and after that delete it. [Here][1] is some example how to achieve that.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

I try adding `Pooling=false` like Ladislav Mrnka said but always got the error.
I'm using **Sql Server Management Studio** and even if I close all the connection, I get the error.

If I close **Sql Server Management Studio** then the Database is deleted :)
Hope this can helps

This is a really aggressive database (re)initializer for EF code-first with migrations; use it at your peril but it seems to run pretty repeatably for me. It will;

1. Forcibly disconnect any other clients from the DB
2. Delete the DB.
3. Rebuild the DB with migrations and runs the Seed method
4. Take ages! (watch the timeout limit for your test framework; a default 60 second timeout might not be enough)

Here's the class;

public class DropCreateAndMigrateDatabaseInitializer<TContext, TMigrationsConfiguration>: IDatabaseInitializer<TContext>
where TContext: DbContext
where TMigrationsConfiguration : System.Data.Entity.Migrations.DbMigrationsConfiguration<TContext>, new()
{
public void InitializeDatabase(TContext context)
{
if (context.Database.Exists())
{
// set the database to SINGLE_USER so it can be dropped
context.Database.ExecuteSqlCommand(TransactionalBehavior.DoNotEnsureTransaction, "ALTER DATABASE [" + context.Database.Connection.Database + "] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE");

// drop the database
context.Database.ExecuteSqlCommand(TransactionalBehavior.DoNotEnsureTransaction, "USE master DROP DATABASE [" + context.Database.Connection.Database + "]");
}

var migrator = new MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion<TContext, TMigrationsConfiguration>();
migrator.InitializeDatabase(context);

}
}

Use it like this;

public static void ResetDb()
{
// rebuild the database
Console.WriteLine("Rebuilding the test database");
var initializer = new DropCreateAndMigrateDatabaseInitializer<MyContext, MyEfProject.Migrations.Configuration>();
Database.SetInitializer<MyContext>initializer);

using (var ctx = new MyContext())
{
ctx.Database.Initialize(force: true);
}
}

I also use Ladislav Mrnka's 'Pooling=false' trick, but I'm not sure if it's required or just a belt-and-braces measure. It'll certainly contribute to slowing down the test more.

None of those solutions worked for me. I ended up writing an extension method that works:

private static void KillConnectionsToTheDatabase(this Database database)
{
var databaseName = database.Connection.Database;
const string sqlFormat = @"
USE master;

DECLARE @databaseName VARCHAR(50);
SET @databaseName = '{0}';

declare @kill varchar(8000) = '';
select @kill=@kill+'kill '+convert(varchar(5),spid)+';'
from master..sysprocesses
where dbid=db_id(@databaseName);

exec (@kill);";

var sql = string.Format(sqlFormat, databaseName);
using (var command = database.Connection.CreateCommand())
{
command.CommandText = sql;
command.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

command.Connection.Open();

command.ExecuteNonQuery();

command.Connection.Close();
}
}

I was going crazy with this! I have an open database connection inside `SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)` and a table query open to see the result of some unit tests. When re-running the tests inside Visual Studio I want it to `drop` the database always ***EVEN IF*** the connection is open in SSMS.

Here's the definitive way to get rid of `Cannot drop database because it is currently in use`:

[Entity Framework Database Initialization][1]

The trick is to override `InitializeDatabase` method inside the custom `Initializer`.

Copied relevant part here for the sake of `good` **DUPLICATION**... :)

> If the database already exist, you may stumble into the case of having
> an error. The exception “Cannot drop database because it is currently
> in use” can raise. This problem occurs when an active connection
> remains connected to the database that it is in the process of being
> deleted. A trick is to override the InitializeDatabase method and to
> alter the database. This tell the database to close all connection and
> if a transaction is open to rollback this one.

public class CustomInitializer<T> : DropCreateDatabaseAlways<YourContext>
{
public override void InitializeDatabase(YourContext context)
{
context.Database.ExecuteSqlCommand(TransactionalBehavior.DoNotEnsureTransaction
, string.Format("ALTER DATABASE [{0}] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE", context.Database.Connection.Database));

base.InitializeDatabase(context);
}

protected override void Seed(YourContext context)
{
// Seed code goes here...

base.Seed(context);
}
}

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

I got the same error. In my case, I just closed the connection to the database and then re-connected once the in my case the new model was added and a new controller was scaffolded. That is however a very simple solution and not recommended for all scenarios if you want to keep your data.

I got the same problem back then. Turns out the solution is to close the connection in Server Explorer tab in Visual Studio. So maybe you could check whether the connection is still open in the Server Explorer.

Its simple because u're still using the same db somewhere, or a connection is still open.
So just execute "USE master" first (if exist, but usually is) and then drop the other db. This always should work!

Grz John