Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 853 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
resttemplate getForObject map responsetype

***Update 02/05/2018 (about 4 years later)...I tested this again as people have been upvoting my question/answer and Sotirios Delimanolis is correct that I should not have to write the code in my answer to make this work. I used basically the same RestTemplate/REST service setup as shown in my question with the REST service having a confirmed response content type of application/json and RestTemplate was able to process the response with no issues into a Map.***

----------

I'm invoking a rest service that returns `JSON` like this:

{
"some.key" : "some value",
"another.key" : "another value"
}

I would like to think that I can invoke this service with a `java.util.Map` as the response type but that's not working for me. I get this exception:

org.springframework.web.client.RestClientException: Could not extract response: no suitable HttpMessageConverter found for response type [interface java.util.Map]

Should I just specify `String` as the response type and convert the `JSON` to a `Map`?

<b>Edit I</b>

Here's my restTemplate call:

private Map<String, String> getBuildInfo(String buildUrl) {
return restTemplate.getForObject(buildUrl, Map.class);
}

Here's how I'm setting up the restTemplate:

@PostConstruct
public void initialize() {
List<ClientHttpRequestInterceptor> interceptors = new ArrayList<>();
interceptors.add(new ClientHttpRequestInterceptor() {
@Override
public ClientHttpResponse intercept(HttpRequest request, byte[] body, ClientHttpRequestExecution execution) throws IOException {
HttpRequestWrapper requestWrapper = new HttpRequestWrapper(request);
requestWrapper.getHeaders().setAccept(Arrays.asList(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON));
return execution.execute(requestWrapper, body);
}
});
restTemplate.setInterceptors(interceptors);
}

<b>Edit II</b>

Full error message:

org.springframework.web.client.RestClientException: Could not extract response: no suitable HttpMessageConverter found for response type [interface java.util.Map] and content type [application/octet-stream]
at org.springframework.web.client.HttpMessageConverterExtractor.extractData(HttpMessageConverterExtractor.java:108) ~[spring-web-4.0.3.RELEASE.jar:4.0.3.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.doExecute(RestTemplate.java:549) ~[spring-web-4.0.3.RELEASE.jar:4.0.3.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.execute(RestTemplate.java:502) ~[spring-web-4.0.3.RELEASE.jar:4.0.3.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.getForObject(RestTemplate.java:239) ~[spring-web-4.0.3.RELEASE.jar:4.0.3.RELEASE]
at idexx.ordering.services.AwsServersServiceImpl.getBuildInfo(AwsServersServiceImpl.java:96) ~[classes/:na]

I know its old, but just for other people that may visit this topic:
If you want to register some additional converters with RestTemplateBuilder you also have to explicitly register default ones

@Bean
public RestTemplateBuilder builder() {
return new RestTemplateBuilder()
.defaultMessageConverters()
.additionalMessageConverters(halMessageConverter());
}

private HttpMessageConverter halMessageConverter() {
ObjectMapper objectMapper = new ObjectMapper().registerModule(new Jackson2HalModule());
TypeConstrainedMappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter halConverter = new TypeConstrainedMappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter(ResourceSupport.class);
halConverter.setSupportedMediaTypes(Collections.singletonList(MediaTypes.HAL_JSON));
halConverter.setObjectMapper(objectMapper);
return halConverter;
}

As I had previously noted, your error message is showing us that you are receiving `application/octet-stream` as a `Content-Type`.

<!-- language:none -->

org.springframework.web.client.RestClientException: Could not extract response: no suitable HttpMessageConverter found for response type [interface java.util.Map] and content type [application/octet-stream]

As such, Jackson's `MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter` cannot parse the content (it's expecting `application/json`).

----------

Original answer:

Assuming your HTTP response's `Content-Type` is `application/json` and you have have Jackson 1 or 2 on the classpath, a `RestTemplate` can deserialize JSON like you have into a `java.util.Map` just fine.

With the error you are getting, which you haven't shown in full, either you've registered custom `HttpMessageConverter` objects which overwrite the defaults ones, or you don't have Jackson on your classpath and the `MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter` isn't registered (which would do the deserialization) or you aren't receiving `application/json`.

I think you can achieve what you're aiming for simply using the RestTemplate and specifying a JsonNode as the response type.

ResponseEntity<JsonNode> response =
restTemplate.exchange(url, HttpMethod.GET, entity, JsonNode.class);

JsonNode map = response.getBody();

String someValue = map.get("someValue").asText();

***Update 02/05/2018 (about 4 years later)...I tested this again as people have been upvoting my question/answer and Sotirios Delimanolis is correct that I should not have to write the code in my answer to make this work. I used basically the same RestTemplate/REST service setup as shown in my question with the REST service having a confirmed response content type of application/json and RestTemplate was able to process the response with no issues into a Map.***

----------

I ended up getting the contents as a `String` and then converting them to a `Map` like this:

String json = restTemplate.getForObject(buildUrl, String.class);
Map<String,String> map = new HashMap<String,String>();
ObjectMapper mapper = new ObjectMapper();

try {
//convert JSON string to Map
map = mapper.readValue(json, new TypeReference<HashMap<String,String>>(){});
} catch (Exception e) {
logger.info("Exception converting {} to map", json, e);
}

return map;

@GetMapping(value = "getSunny/{userId}")
public Map<String, SunnyVO> getSunny(@PathVariable int sunnyId) {

Map<String, SunnyVO> newObj = new HashMap<String, SunnyVO>();
final String url = "http://localhost:8085/Sunny/getSunny/{sunnyId}";
RestTemplate restTemplate = new RestTemplate();
newObj = restTemplate.getForObject(url, Map.class, sunnyId);
return newObj;

}

It is working for me ...

This worked 100% for me

in client

Map<String, Object> mapRespuesta = new HashMap<>();
mapRespuesta.put("mensaje", "Process completed successfully");
mapRespuesta.put("idResponse", id);
return new ResponseEntity<Map<String, Object>>(mapRespuesta, HttpStatus.OK);

in which it makes the connection

ResponseEntity<Map> result = restTemplate.postForEntity(url, params, Map.class);
String id = result.getBody().get("idResponse").toString();

**RestTemplate** has a method named **[exchange][1]** that takes an instance of **[ParameterizedTypeReference][2]** as parameter.

To make a GET request that returns a `java.util.Map`, just create an instance of an anonym class that inherits from ParameterizedTypeReference.

ParameterizedTypeReference<Map<String, String>> responseType =
new ParameterizedTypeReference<>() {};

You can then invoke the exchange method:

RequestEntity<Void> request = RequestEntity.get("http://example.com/foo")
.accept(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON).build();
Map<String, String> jsonDictionary = restTemplate.exchange(request, responseType).getBody();

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

-
[2]:

[To see links please register here]