Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 531 Vote(s) - 3.48 Average
How do I get my VPN-daemon to run in the background?

Quote:(05-05-2021, 05:29 PM)Drako Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Quote: (05-05-2021, 04:08 PM)poi$on ivy Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 10:46 AM)Equinox Wrote:

That’s a more nuanced question than I can answer for you.

The reason people don’t like using the arch user repository is because there’s no real standard of work quality there. In an ideal world, your package manager has a defined set of instructions that would install a package to your computer that is replicable and standardized. This is what pacman for Arch users, apt for Debian users, xbps for void users, etc. is attempting to accomplish.

The AUR doesn’t have any standardization, nor does it have any quality checking. There’s no official maintainer who can say that a package build for an AUR package is of any quality. That’s it’s biggest downfall.

That being the case though, you have to decide for yourself if you want an AUR package manager. Do you want a package manager that just installs package, even if you don’t know where those packages are going or how it affects your system? In most cases, you probably don’t. But in the advent of convenience, maybe you do.

If I had to say, I would say yes, you should install an AUR package manager. That being said though, my next suggestion is to use it frugally. It’s better than just cloning a git repository in that it’s actually managed, and can easily be uninstalled or modified. But using it too much can be detrimental in that if your file system may at some point become cluttered and disorganized.

As for the wireguard file, you may absolutely use wireguard instead of openvpn. Mullvad encouraged that, actually. You’re not bound by openvpn in the slightest.

And yes, the package name in the AUR is mullvad. As a bit of a protip, you shouldn’t use sudo in conjunction with an AUR package manager. Again, it’s not standardized in any way. That can open you up to privilege escalation (you don’t know what commands are being executed by the package build). AUR package managers use a fakeroot to build packages and will call sudo when appropriate so you’re not vulnerable to such attacks.

Okay. To begin with, I appreciate your full-length answer, but also your mature way of dealing with me after our fall-out. You dont really seem to hold any greviances against me, even though I almost made an attempt of character-assassinating you. The reason I did that was because I felt like other people, but not you, had been picking on me, so I used you as a means to an end. But you seem to think that you had done something to me, no. You were a mere victim of this cruelty. But this isnt me trying to roleplay with you or anything, its a bit off-topic, but Im saying it just to sort things out between us. I see myself as a good person, a classic, and a peacekeeper. But I dont want to end up as miso. Enough of that. :smile:

Yes, your way of putting it with AUR and mullvad was a bit blunt, but very good. I think thats the way you want it to be. You described it very clearly, and now I know why there have been such issues with installing it. The reason I didnt want to use AUR was because of some dependency issues, and because it's been known to cause some issues. But if I can install mullvad with it, Im gonna give it a try.

Do I just have to do:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

And then:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

?

I can assure that I have alot to learn, Im very humble about my skills with Arch. I dont know anything, almost, haha :smile: But I dont have that much expectations on myself either. I love to learn more, and I appreciate your help.

Also, the Arch repository, is that like a repository that you dont use with pacman? Because I dont even think Ive even used it? Or is it with pacman? Apreciate your response.

To install Yay, you'll have to run these commands to get it installed. Yay isn't in the official repos, so you'll have to git clone it. Use "sudo" or "doas" when necessary

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Awesome, thanks alot :biggrin: I really appreciate your help guys. It feels like a relief that I dont have to compile and clone the program every time it updates and all that.

Edit: when I did all of the instructions, it said: "could not find all the required packages: mullvad (target)". :/

Edit#2: The installation completed successfully, I only had to change the target to mullvad-vpn.
But when I try to start the app, it says once again that it cant connect without the daemon.
And the only way for me to run the daemon is to open a terminal window and manually start it :/
Is there any solution to this?.... I have successfully ran MullvadVPN on my computer before.......

Quote:(05-05-2021, 10:07 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Edit#2: The installation completed successfully, I only had to change the target to mullvad-vpn.
But when I try to start the app, it says once again that it cant connect without the daemon.
And the only way for me to run the daemon is to open a terminal window and manually start it :/
Is there any solution to this?.... I have successfully ran MullvadVPN on my computer before.......

What is the command you’re using to try to start or enable the daemon?

According to the package build (

) the service unit is named “mullvad-daemon,” so try enabling mullvad-daemon.service

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Also, you’ll need to start the daemon too. Enabling it won’t start it until next time systemd does sweep for services that are enabled (next time the system starts basically).

You can either reboot, or just use

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

To start the daemon.

Quote:(05-05-2021, 11:01 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 10:07 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

) the service unit is named “mullvad-daemon,” so try enabling mullvad-daemon.service

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Also, you’ll need to start the daemon too. Enabling it won’t start it until next time systemd does sweep for services that are enabled (next time the system starts basically).

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

To start the daemon.
The command itself seems to have worked, and there seems to be some progress since I can now start the mullvad gui from command line,
but when I try to connect, it still says 'failed to connect to daemon' for some reason. Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile: Im thinking if it may be some issue that it cant work on Arch, or something? But its strange, because I have had it running before....

Quote:(05-05-2021, 11:17 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 11:01 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 10:07 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

To start the daemon.
The command itself seems to have worked, and there seems to be some progress since I can now start the mullvad gui from command line,
but when I try to connect, it still says 'failed to connect to daemon' for some reason. Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile: Im thinking if it may be some issue that it cant work on Arch, or something? But its strange, because I have had it running before.... :smile:

I'm inclined to believe that this much is going to be down to user-end configuration. Read up on some of the configuration for Mullvad and WireGuard and using the daemon. At the very least, now you know that it should start up automatically for you when your computer starts once it is properly configured. Something to note is that just because you've ran the standalone application before without issue doesn't mean the daemon will do the same. There are different configuration files that the two are pulling from -- while the standalone application may run without issue, it is pulling configuration from your user home directory. The daemon on the other hand is not, and is pulling from system-wide configuration files.

All that being said, do a little bit of research, find the files the daemon is pulling data from. At the end of it, you will be able to restart or reload the daemon (depending on if the service unit specifies instructions for reloading or restarting the daemon) or at the very least you'll be able to restart and see if changes have been applied.

Quote: Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile:

At the end of the day, it's all just a learning experience. You don't need to feel disappointed in yourself, just look at it for face value, that being that you aren't experienced in this and you stand to learn something from it. Most of all, have fun doing it. Pulling system configuration files and working with [slightly] lower level parts of the userspace is something you can get a lot from. I mean, hell, even I am learning something from this experience, even though I'm just trying to help you figure it out. I've never used mullvad, or wireguard, or openvpn. But I've got several years of working with linux and various programs, and I especially have a lot of experience working with systemd and the init process as a whole. But that being the case, if I ever find someone needing to learn about mullvad or openvpn/wireguard and their services, I'll be able to further assist people in the future with it. After all, teaching is the best way to learn.

Quote:(05-06-2021, 05:31 AM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 11:17 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 11:01 PM)Equinox Wrote:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

To start the daemon.
but when I try to connect, it still says 'failed to connect to daemon' for some reason. Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile: Im thinking if it may be some issue that it cant work on Arch, or something? But its strange, because I have had it running before.... :smile:

I'm inclined to believe that this much is going to be down to user-end configuration. Read up on some of the configuration for Mullvad and WireGuard and using the daemon. At the very least, now you know that it should start up automatically for you when your computer starts once it is properly configured. Something to note is that just because you've ran the standalone application before without issue doesn't mean the daemon will do the same. There are different configuration files that the two are pulling from -- while the standalone application may run without issue, it is pulling configuration from your user home directory. The daemon on the other hand is not, and is pulling from system-wide configuration files.

All that being said, do a little bit of research, find the files the daemon is pulling data from. At the end of it, you will be able to restart or reload the daemon (depending on if the service unit specifies instructions for reloading or restarting the daemon) or at the very least you'll be able to restart and see if changes have been applied.

Quote:Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile:

At the end of the day, it's all just a learning experience. You don't need to feel disappointed in yourself, just look at it for face value, that being that you aren't experienced in this and you stand to learn something from it. Most of all, have fun doing it. Pulling system configuration files and working with [slightly] lower level parts of the userspace is something you can get a lot from. I mean, hell, even I am learning something from this experience, even though I'm just trying to help you figure it out. I've never used mullvad, or wireguard, or openvpn. But I've got several years of working with linux and various programs, and I especially have a lot of experience working with systemd and the init process as a whole. But that being the case, if I ever find someone needing to learn about mullvad or openvpn/wireguard and their services, I'll be able to further assist people in the future with it. After all, teaching is the best way to learn.

Yeah, well, the daemon is up and running now. I checked it and there was something with 'vendor process' or smth that wasnt running, but I feel like I probably can handle that on my own and we have together made process with my mullvad-vpn-daemon. If you hadnt helped me with this, it would have been really bad but thanks to you and @

I think Im going to be able to make it work in a couple days :smile: I was meddling with it before, but right now Im playing WoW. Its important to take breaks too.

I only have barely 2 years of experience with linux and Arch, so I feel like I know almost nothing. But like even if you spend 4 hours just to compile something, maybe you learn something from it too and have fun

Quote:(05-06-2021, 06:16 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Quote: (05-06-2021, 05:31 AM)Equinox Wrote:

Quote: (05-05-2021, 11:17 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Quote:Im sorry...... it should work by now, I have no clue why it isnt running. I want it to work, I dont want to make you disappointed in me if I cant fix this when you are helping me...... :smile:

Yeah, well, the daemon is up and running now. I checked it and there was something with 'vendor process' or smth that wasnt running, but I feel like I probably can handle that on my own and we have together made process with my mullvad-vpn-daemon. If you hadnt helped me with this, it would have been really bad but thanks to you and @

I think Im going to be able to make it work in a couple days :smile: I was meddling with it before, but right now Im playing WoW. Its important to take breaks too.

I only have barely 2 years of experience with linux and Arch, so I feel like I know almost nothing. But like even if you spend 4 hours just to compile something, maybe you learn something from it too and have fun :smile:

It depends on how much time you have to tinker with Linux, and what you do with that time. If you're like me and use distros and niche programs that require lots of maintenance or troubleshooting, you'll learn a lot in 2 years. But not everyone has the luxury of time. So a lot of people are put-off by Linux due to stereotypes like that.

But I'm glad I was able to help you get the daemon running.

Quote:(05-06-2021, 06:44 PM)Drako Wrote:

Quote: (05-06-2021, 06:16 PM)AnalAssAssin Wrote:

Quote: (05-06-2021, 05:31 AM)Equinox Wrote:

I only have barely 2 years of experience with linux and Arch, so I feel like I know almost nothing. But like even if you spend 4 hours just to compile something, maybe you learn something from it too and have fun :smile:

It depends on how much time you have to tinker with Linux, and what you do with that time. If you're like me and use distros and niche programs that require lots of maintenance or troubleshooting, you'll learn a lot in 2 years. But not everyone has the luxury of time. So a lot of people are put-off by Linux due to stereotypes like that.

But I'm glad I was able to help you get the daemon running.

Yeah, thank you. :smile: And yes, I feel like Im learning something new all the time and its fun and satisfying once you get that problem or thing solved, and you get that kick, like, success! ha. :smile: I have learned alot about hacking programs and created some programs, so yeah. I think Arch is awesome and really fun to use, especially Blackarch